3. Navigator of the Seas
This was my first cruise and I was pleasantly surprised. Embarkation was simple and there were plenty of staff to guide us in the right direction. It was me and my mom and we are both very afraid of water. Once we were on the boat, however, it was easy to forget we were not on land. The staff was very friendly and always making sure we were enjoying ourselves. The rooms were small but had everything you could ever need and had plenty of storage. The shows were entertaining but I wish they had more shows available during the daytime/afternoon on the "at sea" days. My favorite shows were the comedians and the "love and marriage" show was hilarious. The boat was a bit rocky the last two days of the cruise and I did have to take Dramamine one day but was surprised I did not need it more since I tend to get motion sick easily. The food in the dining room was very good and the service was excellent. I was not a huge fan of the food at the buffet (Windjammer) but I am not typically a fan of buffet style food to begin with. There was a snack bar that was open 24/7 that provided pizza, fruit, small sandwiches, and desserts. This was my favorite area and I enjoyed trying the different options they provided each day. My mom is gluten intolerant and there was a gluten free section at the buffet and gluten free options at the dinning room. The ship had several lounging areas where you could sunbathe or look out over the water and/or pool areas. These areas were a bit overwhelming since people would save their lounge chairs with bags and towels. Very few people were actually lounging around but it was almost impossible to find seats due to the "saving seats" problem (even though signs said you could not do that, no one was enforcing it). That was probably my least favorite part. There was a rock climbing wall that was a lot of fun and a surfing simulator that was fun to watch (I did not participate). The ports were interesting and a lot of fun. The Bahamas was a bit overwhelming with the locals yelling at you to take a taxi or buy their products. Way too much "salesman pressure". I could not just look and enjoy like some other places I have been too. Because of this, I ended up avoiding those areas and not buying much. The tour was ok in the Bahamas. We did a city tour that advertised itself as visiting a rum cake factory, the queens staircase, the governors house, a rum distillery and ending with a fish fry on the beach. The rum cake factory was a store with free samples (delicious but crowded), the queens staircase was the best part with lots of history told to us by a local, the distillery was interesting but a bit chaotic (normally a self guided tour with a sample of pina colada by the door, we actually got a tour guide for ours), and the fish fry on the beach was actually the name of a bar/restaurant that was near a beach and if we wanted food we had to order it off the menu and pay extra. The tour guide on the bus was great but the tour itself was misleading. The excursion we did in Cozumel was amazing. The tour guide was excellent and spent over an hour giving us a tour of the ruins on the island. We then went to a chocolate factory and saw a demonstration on making Mayan chocolate. This tour was the best part of the trip. We also did an excursion in Miami on a Hop-on-Hop-off Big Bus tour. We did not get off the bus but we had plenty of time to do two different routes through the city and got very lucky with another excellent tour guide. The transfer to the airport was not very well done. The bus was late getting to the airport and I believe many with earlier departures missed their flights. They dropped everyone off in a back area and left us all to fend for ourselves. Luckily, I fly 4-6 times a year and know my way around an airport so we did not miss our flight, but we were close. If you do a post-cruise excursion I would recommend taking a later flight (4pm or later, with the boat getting to shore before 8am). Overall, I enjoyed the cruise and I would definitely recommend Royal Caribbean to others. While I will not be going on a cruise every six months like some of the people we met, I would definitely consider doing one again in the future.

First time cruise

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by amkago2008

amkago2008’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

The cabin was small but not nearly as small as I was expecting. The window was a good size where we could look out at the ocean. There was lots of storage and the beds were comfortable. The staff was wonderful at keeping the room clean. We both loved the towels shaped into animals. I was very happy with the room.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans

• Mayan Ruins
    The tour we did included visiting the San Gervasio ruins, the Mayan Cacao Company, and the beach. We started off by taking a bus to the San Gervasio ruins. On the way, the tour guide was very informative about the island and day to day life there. We spent a good hour at the ruins with a full tour and then about 20 minutes of free time to explore on our own. The ruins were very interesting and our guide was fantastic. He had a lot of factual information and even included local stories/legends. The bus ended up making a full circle of the island so we got to see a lot of the city and rural areas. We made a quick stop at the beach so we could take pictures and enjoy the view. There were some local shops along the street that you could purchase souvenirs from. Our final stop was at the Mayan Cacao Company. We got to sample fresh made tortillas with mole. Then we got to tour the grounds and see a demonstration on making Mayan chocolate. The presentor had lots of information and was very personable. We then had a few minutes to look around the shop and purchase chocolate of our own. This tour was my favorite of the whole cruise. There was no salesman pressure and I felt the description on the cruise website was actually very acurate to what we got.
    View All 372 Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • City Tour
    This was a Big Bus Hop-on-hop-off tour. When we got off the boat there was an area to check in where they took our bags and asked for our airport-transfer time (1300, 1500, or 1700), which they then wrote on our bag tags. Once they had our bags we loaded the bus that took us to the main stop for the tour in Miami. There were several tour route options: Red (city loop), Blue (beach loop), and Green (uptown loop). We did the red and blue options. The tour guide on our bus was very upbeat, friendly, and informative. He had lots of information and while we did not have the time to get off and explore any of the areas, I felt that the tour was definitely worth the money. This was one of the better hop-on-hop-off tours I have been on. The airport transfer did not go very smoothly, however. One of the couples on our bus had their bag misplaced by the company (wrote the wrong transfer time down) so the bus made a detour on the way to the airport to pick it up at their office building. While this was nice for the couple with the missing bag, it made everyone else on the bus late. Several people had flights departing at 2:20 pm and the first airport transfer was at 1:00pm so we did not get to the airport until around 1:50pm. The guide on this bus (different than our earlier tour guide) became very flustered and had the bus park in a back area of the airport instead of dropping us off at our various airline locations. He then personally took a few of the guests to their airlines without helping anyone else on the bus. Everyone else was left to fend for themselves. Our flight departed at 3:20 and we barely made it. Turns out American Airlines was on the complete opposite side of the airport where we were dropped off (most of the people on the transfer bus were flying with American). While the airport transfer was a bit stressful and chaotic, the actual tour was excellent. I would recommend this tour but give yourself much more time than you think you'll need to get to the airport because the tour was not very organized with that part.
    View All 138 City Tour Reviews
  • Island Tour
    This tour was described as visiting the Rum Cake Factory, John Watling’s Distilery, the Queen's Staircase, and a fish fry on Junkanoo beach. The Rum Cake Factory was a small store selling rum cakes where we got to sample three differnt types (coconut, amaretto, and original). The cakes were delicious but the store was very crowded and you had to push your way through to get the samples. Our next stop was Atlantis. This was definitely neat to see but it was more of a photo oportunity than anything. We did get about 20 minutes to explore the casino which has some cool Chihuly glass sculptures and sea inspired decor. We went next to see the Queen's staircase and Fort Fincastle. We only got 15 minutes at this location so we chose to see the staircase over the fort. There was a local at the bottom that gave us history on the area. This was the highlight of the whole tour! Next, the distillery was neat but when we got inside there was a tray of pina colada shots sitting there unattended and there was a sign that said "enjoy a self-guided tour by reading the signs around the property and please take a sample". A guide did come down after a few minutes and he was surprised we were there. He was very enthusiastic and had some good information but the second bus that was behind us got left behind and missed most of the tour. We did get to see where the rum was made which was cool since I'm a big rum fan. If you wanted any more samples you had to pay at the bar (similar to several wine tasting tours I've been on). The final stop was the "fish fry on the beach". Turns out this was a bar/restaurant called "The Fish Fry" located near the beach. They gave out small samples of conch salad as you came through the door and a small glass of bahama mama (several of us got non-alcoholic when it was supposed to have alcohol). If you wanted anything else to eat you had to order from the menu and pay extra. They did do a demonstration on how conch salad is made which was very interesting and informative. However, they mentioned several times while cutting up this creature that it was alive the entire time so probably not good for children, those with sensitive stomachs, or those sensitive to animal rights. We spent an hour at this location. I wish we would have gotten more time at the Queen's staircase and Fort Fincastle instead of spending it all at the restaurant. During the time on the bus we passed many interesting places that I wish we could have gotten out and visited (Christ church cathedral, balcony house, government house, parliament square) but the tour giude gave us a lot of information which was nice. We even passed the police station and one of the hospitals which he gave lots of information about everyday living in the Bahamas. He was very friendly, enthusiastic, and informative which helped make up for some of the dissapointing/mislabeled parts of the tour.
    View All 303 Island Tour Reviews