3. Independence of the Seas
First, to be clear, the ship 1000% has a bed bug infestation. I was bitten multiple times almost every night, my significant other was bitten multiple times, and the couple traveling with us in different staterooms on different floors was bitten. Anyone traveling on this ship should be concerned because if a single bed bug is taken home with you in your clothes, bag, etc. that means thousands ($1000+) of exterminator costs, dry cleaning, mattress replacement, etc. Second, as many others have mentioned, the ship is rundown and the furniture and interiors are in desperate need of renovation. There’s holes, fading, out of order signs, etc. across the ship. I thought it was one of the older ships in the fleet but it was built only in 2008 so it just looks old due to neglect and disrepair. Third, the ship smells like sewage and there’s a plumbing issue. The ship was delayed departure for 4 hours from Ft Lauderdale due to a “mechanical issue” . I assume it was pipe related because certain areas of the ship smelled of raw sewage so bad (gaming area and sports area), and whole sections of the ship would lose plumbing. At one point, my toiler didn’t flush, told my stateroom attendant who responded by saying the whole side of the floor does not have plumbing. Fourth, which I find most egregious, the staff – principally the management – were really of low quality and did not act up to standards. I assume this is because the ship ranks lower in RCL’s priorities behind the Oasis and Quantum, and this is primarily (in $$) a European cruising vessel. The Cruise Director seemed mean spirited and self-promoting. A dining manager made insensitive, offensive, racially probing question to my significant other and another couple. And worst, a certain entertainer onboard did what clearly would constitute sexual harassment by making crude and lewd remarks to me and my significant other as we were exiting a lounge. This was not a stand-up comedian or anything. Like seriously Royal Caribbean, I do not want or need that. In general, the lounge and main theater entertainment was much worse that Oasis class ships, with the ship’s main comedian act making fun of how it “looked nothing like the commercials” This ship is a clear AVOID.

Bed Bugs!!!! & Casual Sexual Harassment,

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Stinkous

This ship is a clear AVOID.
Stinkous’s Full Rating Summary