3. Regal Princess
This was our 22nd cruise, the 3rd on Princess. We did the western Caribbean itinerary. My husband and I are both in our 50s. We live in Tampa, so we drove down the morning of the cruise. By the time we got there, we just walked right on - no line around 1:30. We had a balcony cabin on deck 9, and I agree with others, they are rather small. There is also a lack of innovative storage. They could take some ideas from other cruise lines in that department. We were warmly greeted by our cabin steward (JeeZee??) who was excellent throughout the cruise. It was a nice change since on our last cruise we never ever saw our cabin steward. Overall, we really enjoyed the cruise. Here's a quick summary: Ship: Really nice in an understated way. The layout doesn't flow though. Staircases that lead to nowhere....... Decks that stop mid-ship....... We thought the casino was a bit small for the size of the ship. They really need to have a 2nd craps table. We didn't win, but we heard that someone hit the jackpot, and our companions met someone who had just won $3500 on slots. We didn't discover the margarita bar at the back of deck 16 until mid way through the cruise. They have some very interesting drinks. We also didn't see the pool in the back on deck 17 until the very end, although there is no shade back there where the lounge chairs are. We loved the Retreat adults-only section, and would have liked to have used the Sanctuary more, but they allow reservations on the first day on a 1st come, 1st served basis. They really should do a lottery instead so it's fair for everyone to have a chance to use it. Shows/Entertainment: Very good, especially the last production show. We also really liked the Voice of the Ocean finale. There was always music somewhere in the evening. And we have never seen so many (older) people dancing on a cruise - the ballroom dance craze is in full swing on Princess. They even had some lessons on sea days. Food: OK to good. Buffet for lunch was excellent with lots of variety. Don't miss the seafood display on the last sea day. At $29 for an upcharge, I am at the point where I don't think these specialty restaurants are worth it. The food was really nothing special, we have had better on other ships for less $$. We went to both the Crown Grill and Sabatinis, with 8 pm reservations, and had to leave both times before getting dessert because service was kind of slow and we wanted to catch the 10:00 show. The sushi/raw bar was very good, and we really enjoyed Alfredo's. We were disappointed that they did not have the fondue nights that they advertise on their web site for the Regal. It is supposed to be in the buffet area at night a few times during the cruise, but when I called to inquire, they said they don't do it on this ship (so take it off the web site then). However, we don't let the quality of the food dictate whether we like or dislike our vacation, it's really secondary to us and a nice surprise if it is very good. I also think it would be better if they allowed reservations prior to the cruise so people know what to plan for. Service: Overall we thought the staff was very friendly and attentive, with a couple of exceptions where we felt the server would rather be anywhere else than where they were. We loved Valiriya (spelling??) and her co-bartender at Vines. Even with the drink package, we did not feel that we were ignored at the bars at all. I already mentioned our cabin steward. The one big snafu was my husband had ordered flowers from the ship for Valentine's Day. We did not get them until after 8 pm that night, even after he inquired about them twice. He was very disappointed they didn't come sooner. If they can't accommodate the requests in reasonable timeframes, they shouldn't take so many orders. Excursions: We rented a clam shell on Princess Cay, which was worth it if you really need to have some shade, although there were quite a few places where the shade was free :-). In Cozumel we did the Salsa & Salsa excursion, which we would highly recommend, it was a lot of fun. In both Jamaica and Grand Cayman we did tours through Viator, who we have used in many different countries. In Jamaica we went to the Aah Ras Natango Gallery and Garden. Sounds weird, but definitely a different, relaxing experience. In Grand Cayman we did a bike tour with West Bay Loop, also a lot of fun, and you get some exercise too. I don't know if it was the time of year or what, but there were very few children on the ship. That's a big plus for us, and it doesn't seem like Princess caters to kids like some other lines do, there aren't slides, rock climbing walls, etc. The majority of the passengers are 50+.

Very nice experience, with a few suggestions for improvement

Regal Princess Cruise Review by FLcruzer0214

• Sail Date: February 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Overall, we really enjoyed the cruise. Here's a quick summary:

FLcruzer0214’s Full Rating Summary