3. Independence of the Seas
This was my second cruise with RC Independence of the Seas. The first cruise was mediocre but I decided to give it another chance, as first impressions are not always correct. I should have stuck with my first impression. We travelled as a family, with my husband, 1 yr old, senior mother and aunt. My aunt has mobility issues so we requested (long beforehand) a wheelchair upon arrival. Upon arrival there were no wheelchairs available and the wait time for a wheelchair was 1/2 - 1 hour. They suggested we wait in an area that was already congested with people waiting for wheelchairs and no available seating. As it was a completely unreasonable request of us, we decided to do without it. Little did we know how long the process to embark would be. After over an hour in line, we finally got onboard and went to our rooms. Despite requesting a king bed and crib, none of this was done. In addition, the washroom was unclean (dirty toilet with urine on the seat and dirty bowl, hair in the shower, dirty floor). There was no infant life vest, so as a replacement they gave me a children's life vest (which was far too big for a 1 yr old). There was at least 1 bartender at every bar that was rude and had poor customer service. To be fair, on our first cruise the bartenders were fantastic and some of the friendliest people I have met. When we went to the kiddy pool area we were told that my daughter could not be in one of the areas (and we were told to move) because she was wearing a swim diaper. There were numerous other boys in the area which a parent could clearly see were wearing a swim diaper, but the staff did not recognize this and said nothing to this. No doubt many of those toddlers (without diapers) were peeing in the pool, so the logic of their request was lost. Upon disembarkation of the ship, my aunt was provided with wheelchair assistance. We all departed as a family and when we arrived downstairs we were given a porter to help us collect our bags. We went to our baggage area, collected all our bags and watched as the porter loaded them all onto the cart. We then proceeded to our shuttle where the porter advised us to get on the shuttle and he would ensure that all our bags were put on. We had no reason to doubt him and off we went onto the shuttle and off to the rental company to collect our car. My husband loaded the vehicle at the rental company and off we went. Upon arrival at the hotel my mother noticed that one of her bags was missing. We automatically thought the rental company had it since we knew the porter had picked it up (and assured us he would get everything on). We were wrong. The rental company did not have it so we thought a customer at the rental company must have grabbed it by mistake and get it to us since it was clearly marked with my mother's contact information. My aunt had a medical emergency and was admitted to the hospital in Fort Lauderdale that day. As such, our trip was extended and we were in Fort Lauderdale an extra week. Still, no phone calls. It seemed logical that someone would call us if they had her bag since RC requires you clearly label your bags for departure. It was not until we returned home to Canada (and 2 WEEKS LATER) that RC contacted my mother and advised her they had her bag (which they had from day one) and now needed her to pay the shipping charge to return it to her in Canada. Completely unacceptable. We did not lose the bag...RC did. On top of that, they collected the bag (which was clearly marked) on our disembarkation day and did not contact my mother until long after it would have been likely she left the area. We attempted to argue the logic of having a customer pay for the company's mistake to no avail. At the end of the day RC stated they would not pay to return the bag. For a company that makes millions (if not billions) of dollars off their customers, paying $20 to ship a bag (that their negligence lost) back to a customer is nothing to them. Shame on RC for taking advantage of their customers.

Poor customer service/care