Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

A Mixed Bag

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by organist65

• Sail Date: Feb 2017
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America

This was my 14th cruise-5th with NCL.

GOOD:

(1) The ports and shore excursions were great. My DH and I took the ship's excursions and didn't mind spend a bit more to ensure we returned to the ship on time. I learned a lot about the countries we visited and the Panama Canal. There was a commentator on board as we traveled through the canal.

(2) The crew was friendly, hardworking. Awesome as usual. My DH and I made several our vacation heroes as we just couldn't choose one out of so many wonderful employees.

(3) There was a problem with our room and we were switched. The room and service staff were amazing, They went out of their way to make us happy and make-up for the problem.

BAD:

(1) Except for the breads and desserts, the food in the dining rooms was generally terrible. My DH and I eventually gave up on them and apart from the 3 nights we went to Cagneys, we opted for the buffet or Chin Chins. At the very least the buffet had some good french fries and Chin Chin's was surprisingly fresh and tasty (I had read some not so good reviews).

(2) My DH and I were disappointed with the entertainment and activities on board. Can someone please come up with some new game shows please? Every single ship I have been on has had the newlywed/not so newlywed game. My DH and I won the 80s music trivia. No prize, just 3 points towards a prize at the end of the ship. If you just attend, you get one point. Attend another trivia-everyone gets 5 points towards the prize. What??? Obviously, the hosts were not consistent, some were very boring, and they need to be better trained to handle drunk people who ruin things for everyone. Lastly, the live band Souled Out was personally not my cup of tea. I prefer to dance to the real songs. I wish they would start the DJ at 10 or even 10:30. I can't do what I love the most onboard-dancing! and get up in time for an 8 AM shore excursion.

(3) The spa needs to stop the hard sell after treatments. My DH and I have sworn off the spa from now on. After a relaxing couples massage which I splurged on, I do not want to hear about even more massages I should buy and all of the expensive products you want to sell me. It's one thing to ask if I am interested in any of their products which I wouldn't mind and quite another to push and keep asking why we don't want to buy. Really? Even if we say up front we are not interested. This doesn't work. And we shouldn't have to say that anyways.

Thanks for reading my honest review. I have appreciated all the reviews I have read.

organist65's Full Rating Summary

Los Angeles

Flew in a couple days before the cruise. Took the Hop On Hop Off bus or Uber everywhere. We enjoyed the Paramount Studio tour.

Acapulco

Walked to the beach. Saw a music video being made.

Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)

Took a tour to Antigua. A beautiful city. Only downside was the forced visit to the Jade museum.

Coffee Plantation

Beautiful trip.

View All 38 Coffee Plantation Reviews
Cartagena (Colombia)

Lots of walking and it was hot, but we saw a lot. The mini zoo at the entrance to the port is free and a must see.

organist65