3. Mariner of the Seas
The last time I cruised with Legend of the Seas in 2013 was very positive, that we decided to embark on a longer cruise in a balcony cabin for a better experience. The 5N cruise included a half day at Penang, and full days at Langkawi and Phuket. In terms of sea days its just about 2 days. Demographics- Majority of the cruisers will be chinese or indians depending. Our cruise still fell within lunar new year so there were more than a thousand PRCs onboard. Due to the market shifting to serve more chinese, we realised that there were many more chinese crew onboard as compared to the previous time. However, they spoke good english as well so communication wouldn't be a problem. The cruisers tended to be young families, which can be noisy. Cabin- Our balcony cabin was standard with ample room for hanging and shelving clothes. We managed to put 2 luggages in the wardrobe, and placed the baby bath tub under the sink. There were also ample shelving space for cosmetics and food. The beds were larger than the standard queen and very comfortable. i slept very soundly in my pull down bed as well. Balcony i thought wasnt exactly clean, the chairs too should be cleaned more. Shower room a little small but i guess this is standard size. F&B and Service- Service standards have generally maintained at the high standards i expect from RCI (contrary to what others have said i never had any problems with RCI). However, i feel that there was a slight drop as some of the staffers were not too friendly at times especially the passenger services desk. The staff at the dining room and housekeeping were hardworking and fantastic as we have our dinner at Rhapsody everyday. The main dining room has a selection of western and asian everyday. The chinese and indian cuisine was authentic, but special mention to the awesome curries. However, the specialty restaurants gets on my nerve as they patrol the dining areas every meal time to sell their restaurants. The staff will tell you your reservation can be cancelled but note that you have to do this at more than 24hours notice! My relatives had dinner at Giovannis and it was pretty much packed at Day 1 since they were giving away 20% off. The main dining room already serves really good food for me so i did not feel like i need to pay extra. And why should i pay to eat at a specialty restaurant when its packed? We purchased the Evian bottle package, which consisted of 12 x 1litre bottles. Pretty worth it if you're particular about water onboard. The other packages though wasn't worth it as you'll need to drink at least 5,6 drinks to breakeven and it has to be bought till the end of the cruise, but it can be bought at any time (beer cost usd5.5-6 excl grat). My advice- head down to Malaysia and Thailand to drink all you want and board the ship! Entertainment- My 1 year old daughter really enjoyed the ice skating show, though i couldn't appreciate it at all. The thing about the shows is that they never change it (according to the staff) so why would people come back to cruise with you then? They had mass parties at the Deck 5 promenade and by the pool, and there were quite a number who joined in. My problem was at that time it'll be difficult to get a quiet place to read. I was reading at the Promenade cafe when they started partying, and had to move to library which wasn't secluded on its own because it was located in the middle to link the starboard and port sides. I see people holding meetings there (presumably staff). I was at Lotus Lounge for some Battle of the Sexes game and it was an absolute bore, the crew couldn't host at all.. and didn't even know the meaning of "pride" in one instance. All cruises do not allow diapers in any form in the pool which meant that my 1 year old couldn't enjoy the pool. The promenade shops held daily sale and was packed everytime there a sale going! Ports of calls- Having learnt my lesson from the previous round, I decided not to get ripped off by shore excursions. Penang called straight within walking distance to restaurants that i wanted to go, otherwise you can always hail a cab and reach Georgetown in no time. We did the island hopping tour at Langkawi. RCL sells it at 79usd per person and right down the gangway hagglers quote 700rm per boat for 3 hours (just a normal boat not even yacht). Save yourself the trouble, walk right to the end of the jetty you will see Resort World Langkawi, we charted a boat with them for 290rm for 10 of us. Phuket was the best as they tendered right by Patong Beach where there are so many things to buy and eat. Embarkation and Disembarkation- We arrived at 2pm and the queue was crazy, i figured those guys at the normal queue will need to wait up to an hour. Thankfully we had priority checkin so there was only 2 groups in front of us. Check in will take some time as they will need to settle documentation for visa on arrival if you need one. Each passenger will also need to sign some declaration. All in all we spent about 15 minutes at the check in counter excluding immigration. Passport collection was 3pm the day before arrival and don't wait till the last night to settle your bill as the queue will be crazy. You can also view your statement in your cabin! Disembarkation at Penang was chaotic as they were late, the sound system was so poor nobody could hear a thing that was said. We waited for at least an hour to disembark. At Langkawi and Phuket we only disembarked in the afternoon, by then all the crowd has subsided so no comments on that. Note that those with shore excursion have priority to disembark first. Disembarkation on arrival to Singapore was extremely smooth as we took our time to leave. There was no queue and our luggage awaited for us. Overall, me and my family enjoyed ourselves and there were tonnes to do onboard and ashore. Although RCC has become mass market, the food and service to me has been very good for my standards. Though the demographics has been toward more family orientation, I feel that there is still room for those seeking peace and quiet (eg: your room, lounges) and I will still choose them if they have any new ports of call.

2nd time cruiser with RCI and still loving it