3. Costa Diadema
This was the worst cruise I have ever taken, based solely on the onboard experience. I was shocked at how bad our cruise experience was. And extremely disappointed. Stem-to-stern I have never encountered so much unprofessional behavior by any cruise ship's staff. At all levels. We were treated rudely by nearly every member of Diadema's staff. And the overall customer experience clearly indicates that Costa Diadema's staff are among the most poorly trained in the cruise industry. Dining room staff were rude and bad at their jobs. Our stateroom steward was nice but very, very bad at his job, always forgetting to clean in a timely manner and when he did get to our room, would always forget to perform some basic, necessary duties. Two of our shore tours were cancelled only at the last minute, leaving us with very few options to choose an alternative tour. We were left on our own in multiple ports, because Diadema refused to offer English language tours due to a low number of English speaking clients; that's not totally illogical but the fact that they waited until the last minute to advise us that they were cancelling is unprofessional and incredibly rude. And to make matters worse, when we tried to work with staff at the Tour Desk, we were treated poorly, were lied to, and generally experienced several staff members who did not wish to perform their jobs. We had to beg them to focus and beg them to get answers to our questions. When we boarded we were told by two Costa staff to hand our USA passports over at the ship's Front Desk. We did so and were given receipts. Days later we read that Americans needed their passports in port for Monaco, so we went to the desk to request that ours be returned to us. The two staff members at the passport pickup desk proceeded to claim that Diadema NEVER took our passports and therefore did not have them. They said they never take passports from Americans. Both people were extremely rude to us. When we pointed out to them that we had receipts in our hands from the ship's staff member who took our passports from us, then and only then (but only after we refused to leave) did one of the two staff members agree to walk somewhere else and see what the problem was. She did so with extreme and obvious anger, like an angry child. Of course she DID find our passports and ultimately they were returned to us. But even then she had the gall to accuse US of being at fault for having turned in our passports in the first place! COSTA STAFF TOLD US TO TURN IN OUR PASSPORTS WHEN WE CAME ONBOARD!!! We were shocked at the constant rudeness onboard Diadema. And we were not alone; we met a few other non-Italian cruisers, all of whom told us that they were seeing and experiencing the same kinds of unprofessionalism and outrageously rude behaviour from all of the ship's staff. All of us agreed that staff were particularly rude toward Americans. Not once did any of us observe Italian guests being treated that way. Disgusting behavior. Costa Diadema staff clearly do not have a customer service focus on their poorly-run ship. I've cruised dozens of times on many cruise lines and have never in my life experienced the general rudeness and unprofessional behaviour that we experienced everywhere on the Costa Diadema. I'm not only unhappy, I am genuinely angry. Not only will I never sail again on Costa, but I will shame them publicly in cruise web communities - as I am here - as the single worst cruise line and worst cruise ship possible. If Costa is serious about solving their significant and many problems, they will have to start listening to their customers, and they will require serious retraining with a focus on customers. Right now Costa clearly don't care about their customers. Shame on them.

Worst cruise ever. Rude and unprofessional staff. BEWARE.

Costa Diadema Cruise Review by JunioInNoVA

Dining room staff were rude and bad at their jobs.

JunioInNoVA’s Full Rating Summary