Royal Princess Cruise Review by swapilot
- Sail Date: February 2017
- Destination: Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony
Here are some of the things that we really like about Princess:
1)The cabins are a good size and the design is very good with a lot of storage--we like the position of the closet and the shelving and the bathroom has a lot of space to store things.
2) The service was very good-no complaints at all but I do think the Celebrity crews that we've had are more enthusiastic and friendly and seem to be a happier group.
3) We did the Crown Grill, Crab Shack and the Chef's Table and had amazing food in all the those. Especially the Chef's Table. The dining room was hit and miss, some dinners were good but some just okay. We had anytime dining and made reservations so we were always able to eat when we wanted to.
4) We did several of the wine tastings in the Vines Bar and they were very fun and a good value for the money.
5) We felt the music onboard was geared to the age group onboard. Most of the music played by the house band Atomic was 50-60's as was the music at the pool. They were very enjoyable to listen and dance to. They also played quite a bit around the ship and in the evening there was always several choices of music to listen to in the different bars or venues. We don't usually go to the Production shows but we went the first night and like most of them the singers and dancers were not that good so we didn't go back.
6) The prices on Princess are more reasonable than on Celebrity. Glasses of wine were usually in the $7-8 range as compared to $10-13 on Celebrity. They also did BOGO for $1 twice a day.
7) They also do a nice happy hour for Platinum and Elite and Suites every evening with a discount on drinks and great appetizers.
8) A couple days there was sushi and boiled shrimp for lunch and the hamburgers and pizza and ice cream by the pool are great.
9) Disembarkation was a breeze! 10 minutes at the most from walking off to getting a taxi.
10) Love the EZ Check luggage service!
11) Having the Princess App and being able to check activities on your phone or iPad was nice.
Now for some of the things that we thought they could improve on.
1) The food in the Horizon Court buffet. It's pretty much the same every day and it's not displayed so that it's inviting. Toast sits in a pan under a light so it was usually cold, fruit was old looking several times, a few sandwiches are pre-made and the salad bar was lacking. As compared to Celebrity's buffet, there is a sandwich making area where you can choose from several breads and rolls, meats, cheeses, tuna, chicken and egg salads and the staff will make a custom sandwich for you. They also have Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Indian every day as well as hot food section, carving section and several days they have specialty made Caesar Salads, fetticine, paella etc. So Princess could greatly improve their buffett. It's also pretty unorganized and a lot of repetition so there's a lot of wandering around trying to find what's available. Also on other lines there's more choice in beverages. Orange juice is the only choice for breakfast and water or ice tea for lunch.
2) The senior officers are not visible. We only saw the Captain at the Captain's Welcome aboard and the cruise director isn't around unless she's presenting the entertainment or doing the Wake Show. On Celebrity you see them around the ship all the time talking and joking with passengers and crew and they are involved in activities on the ship such as water volleyball and game shows. I think that's why the staff on Celebrity seem happier and having fun because the officers are more outgoing and friendly.
3) The balconies on the Royal are terrible!!
4) We thought the choice of Movies outside during the day and at night were poor. One day at the pool we had " Finding Dory" and there were maybe 10 kids on board. Interesting choice.
But it was a great cruise and hated to see it end.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Princess CaysThere was a long wait to get a tender ticket and then we waited 30 min. for our number to be called and in 30 min. no numbers were called. Then they announced that a tender broke and to be patient. We figured our number was 30-45 minutes wait so we gave up and decided to stay on the boat as did many other people. Not a great start to the cruise.View All 588 Princess Cays Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Princess Cays Cruise Port Review
SnorkelingDid a snorkeling with Castaway Girl catamaran. Excellent crew, good snorkeling, very nice boat. We went to 2 sites to snorkel and we saw a sting ray, turtles, squid, shark, and fish. Great excursion. Plus you just walk to the end of the pier and the catamaran is right there by the ship.View All 328 Snorkeling Reviews