3. Grandeur of the Seas
The Grandeur of the Seas is a nice ship. Not a great ship. Well, it’s 20 years old. And though there have been updates, its showing its age. Although not a major distraction, I did note a large rust stain in my cabin window. It just shows the age of the ship, I guess. The toilets on the Grandeur work on a vacuum system. We noted that our toilet would sometimes not respond when flusher. Notifying our cabin steward, we were told that it would, eventually, flush when the vacuum built up sufficiently. There were times when that did indeed occur---20 minutes after flushing. Just something to be aware of. I feel I did get a good deal. An outside cabin was about $500/person, and it was a 9 day cruise. No one can dispute that with the included dining and entertainment, that’s a good deal. However, cruising has, in my opinion changed its marketing approach. It’s all about “up selling” the cruiser. Everywhere you turn, there is an opportunity to separate the cruiser from his/her money. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. You can always decline, but be prepared for it. Alcoholic beverages are not inexpensive, but there are ubiquitous. Some are over $10 each, but a glass of wine is about $7 and a mixed drink about $8. As long as you either limit your consumption or don’t really care, you can survive this. Something that has started to raise its ugly head on all cruise ships is specialty dining. There are 3 specialty dining rooms on the Grandeur. At $29/person, one has to ask why. If the dining in the main dining room is as good as they claim, why is there a need for specialty dining? Ah, here it is. The options in the main dining room are, in my opinion, not what they used to be. I made my first cruise in 1998 and the dining was superb. Everything from prime rib to lobster was offered. There was no prime rib on this cruise, and the beef that was offered was not much better than the local buffet in your town. Lobster tail was offered one evening. My wife ordered it. It was very small. So, if you choose this item, ask for two. They should agree as the dining room staff is very accommodating. On that evening, the dining room offered a special. Now, note, this is in the usual dining room. If I liked, I could get a filet mignon and a glass of wine for an additional $8. I did order it and was glad I did, but this is just one example of the “up selling” that never existed in the past. In fact, each evening, there were options to upgrade your meal for an additional cost. It’s just my opinion, but I don’t care for this marketing approach. I know, you don’t have to buy it, but I preferred the excellent dining of the past, all included. I guess the tradeoff is that prices are very reasonable to cruise, so the marketing approach to attract more cruisers is just today’s reality of cruising. It’s important to point out that no matter the age or condition of the ship, the staff work very hard and are very attentive. Our waiter could not have been more pleasant or professional. The assistant waiter was training which probably accounts for her lack of skill. I’m willing to give her time. The stateroom, an outside cabin advertised as “large” was anything but. Barely room to get into bed, the desire to stay in your cabin is limited. The bed itself sagged in the middle, on both sides, as these were what appeared to be two cots pushed together. The pillows were so flat that one needed to use two for any comfort. That being said, the room steward kept our room well and even treated us with towel art many evenings. If you haven’t ever cruised, you’ll find that these stewards are quite skilled at forming animals from towels which they place on your bed to welcome you. The entertainment on this cruise was average. The comedians were pretty good, but the dancers were a notch below what you might find at Disney throughout the park. The man billed as the lead singer was not skilled and came across as a high school student with a bent toward the entertainment industry. Maybe he’ll get there some day, but today is NOT that day. Beware the on board shops. I bought an Invicta watch advertised as 75% off from about $600 dollars for $149. When I looked online upon returning home, I can’t even find it listed on the Invicta site. But, I guess, buyer beware. With the duty free purchase, I probably got my money’s worth, but nowhere near what it was advertised to be. You can buy alcohol on the ship duty free. I noted that Tanqueray gin was $20/bottle if you bought two on the ship. In Nassau, I found it for $18.25. The ship does say that it will match prices, but you need proof. Who’s going to go through all that trouble for $1.75? But it’s worth noting in case you’re shopping on land before you make ship purchases.

Nice, but not a home run

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by patmckenna39

• Sail Date: February 2017
  • Destination: Bahamas

patmckenna39’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Cabin 2026
Not large as advertised. This ship is showing its age, The two cots pushed together to make a large bed sagged in the middle of each. There is barely room to get into bed from either side with this configuration.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans