Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review
2,389 Reviews

Cruising the Panama Canal was the highlight.

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by christine.worden

• Sail Date: Jan 2017
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

The staff were very friendly and great service with smiles.

Donovan, and Cindy were outstanding waiters.

Christian was our cabin maintenance and he is a happy polite and hoping he will receive a raise in wages or position if he wishes. Our room was 9055.

I did not like the idea of having to look for a breakfast, lunch and dinner place to sit and eat on deck 12. It was always crowded. I felt the hot meals were very spicey and I heard that comment a lot from others.

The trip itself was brilliant and the places we visited were exciting.

There was disentry on the ship but the staff were on top of it and wishy washy was everywhere.

There was a problem when coming off the ship. Apparently the border control had few staff and there were at least 10 of us still on the ship at 12pm. when the new passengers were beginning to board.

The one and most important complaint I received as a cruise critic was this,

As you had to go through the casino to the Stardust theatre you walked through a smoke haze. So many people complained about the smoking in the casino.

I did speak to Ian the director and he said that Norwegian did try to stop the smoking but there was less money spent in the casino so they decided to let people smoke again.

There it is in a nutshell......Norwegian care more for more monies than they do for passengers health. One day someone will sue for passive smoking and perhaps they will do something about it. There are folk who don't smoke and love to have a try at the casino.

Why they cannot build on to the cigar room and put a few pokies in that room for the smokers would be a better idea then we do not have to have our health affected.

The other main concern was that the outside lounges were taken up by people who just put their towels on the lounges and walked away for hours. This should be stopped to make it fair for everyone. If a person walks away for more than 15 min then the staff should be vigilant and have the right to take the towel away and allow another to use the lounge. I know this is an ongoing thing but it is not a fair practise at the moment. I hope Nowegian can bring into an effect something to stop this. Too many sun lovers and not enough lounges.

christine.worden's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IB 9055

I had an inside cabin which I will never have again. I hated it. I need to see the daylight in my room.

very quiet non rolling.

Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)

Took the ship bus tour to Antigua and back only.

Did our own thing walking around the city for approx 4 hours.

Cartagena (Colombia)

Old city walking around was fun. Got a taxi to drop us off and then asked to take us around for an hour. Shops not open until 11am.

Huatulco

Plenty of shops to look around, took a taxi to the city from the harbour went to a huge market.

Puerto Vallarta

Wallmart near cruise really cheap for items. took a taxi to the Malecon walked around it was a lovely time. Bought leather shoes in the street shop next street back up the hill.

Cabo San Lucas

loved this place. we walked along the harbour walkway into town. many shops bars along the way very pleasant walking, lots of fun

christine.worden