3. Norwegian Epic
We are experienced cruisers and have sailed on several ships and several different lines in the US and Europe. The following is my observation. Lines. Wait. Crowds. Reservations for a tender? First the good. The food was as good or better than most ships (once you obtained it). The entertainment was of a higher quality than most ships (once you got a seat, maybe). The stewards, waiters, etc., were friendly and kind. You will wait in a line for everything. Every minute of every day. The morning buffet was like a rugby match. They want you to make reservations for everything including the tender boats that take you ashore. Who wants to schedule stuff seven days in advance when you are on vacation? I'm joking but I felt like I might be turned away at a lifeboat because I didn't have a reservation (more on this later). There are no quiet spaces on this ship. Trust me, I looked. The specialty restaurants were good but there was an upcharge (not insignificant) unless you were on a speciality restaurant package. Even then there were upcharges if you wanted a real nice steak or a lobster. The cabins are small even by cruise ship standards. They are oddly laid out, poorly lit (my wife went into the shower with a small mirror to put on her make up), with a translucent toilet compartment door. Sauna, steam room? $39 please. Want to see the Cirque show? $47 please. Back to the lifeboat situation - no one likes the lifeboat drill but the law requires it and maybe (I hope not) you might need to know this stuff. I don't. The lifeboat "drill" was done indoors and was nothing more than checking your name off of a list followed by instructions in halting English about how to put on a life jacket. We were not told what to do in the event of an emergency or where or what number our lifeboat was. As far as I know we were supposed to go to the (smokey) casino and sit. The USCG needs to look into this. DISEMBARKATION TOOK 3 HOURS. Left our cabin as requested just before 8:30 for a scheduled 9:00 disembarkation. We finally cleared immigration at 11:30. The staff had the nerve to blame the ICE officers. We were in front of a very friendly ICE officer for less than 30 seconds. Also, need a wheelchair to get off? Tough luck. Running late for your plane? Too bad. We STOOD in a line for 3 hours. They made 2 announcements in 1.5 hours. If you had the nerve to faint (I saw it happen), they are good enough to load you into a wheelchair and haul you off the ship. I expect that the 7 days worth of garbage got off the ship before we did. If you want a relaxing cruise stay off this ship.

If you are accustomed to Celebrity or HAL - steer clear of this ship.

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by GMDISOC

• Sail Date: February 2017
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Lines. Wait. Crowds. Reservations for a tender?

The stewards, waiters, etc., were friendly and kind.

There are no quiet spaces on this ship. Trust me, I looked.

Sauna, steam room? $39 please. Want to see the Cirque show? $47 please.

We STOOD in a line for 3 hours. They made 2 announcements in 1.5 hours.

If you want a relaxing cruise stay off this ship.
GMDISOC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE
Too small. Poorly lit. Oddly configured.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins