3. Balmoral
My wife and I sailed to the Canaries for some winter sun and we had superior suite 9047. Lovely cabin , perfect size and a lovely balcony on the starboard side. On the very first evening I sat out there whist my wife was getting ready , and I noticed a strange smell engulfing the balcony. I called my wife and we saw the passenger next to us smoking a pipe and the smoke was coming our way. Went out for the evening and next day every we tried to use our balcony again but this guy was out there smoking his pipe. We retreated inside BUT ..the smoke followed into our cabin! This happened every day and after a week we spoke to Jo in guest relations to see if she could move us but the ship was full and guests on all Fred Olsen ships are allowed to smoke on balconies. Fred Olsen are stuck in the old days with this. Only 2 or 3 cruise lines allow this so beware if you are a non smoker. They already have an outside area on deck 7 for this plus almost anywhere around the deck so this is completely unnecessary in our view. We paid good money for this suite but Fred Olsen would much rather look after smokers and upset premium passengers. We have contacted Fred Olsen since our return and customer relations have told us they have no plans to change the smoking policy and were very unsympathetic. In other words..tough luck! We also found that too many cuts are effecting the customer service with them now. Our waiter was rushing around because he had too many tables to serve. We also found the quality of food is suffering too, during the two week cruise not once was steak on the menu. Very disappointing. We have sailed with Fred Olsen many times but alas , this will be the last. What is the point of having a balcony you cant use ? Also because the ship was full, there was no seats available anywhere and the library is now a coffee shop . All in all, an awful cruise and we will not be sailing with them again.

Non Smokers beware !

Balmoral Cruise Review by Brading10

• Sail Date: January 2017
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Superior Suite

We have sailed with Fred Olsen many times but alas , this will be the last.

What is the point of having a balcony you cant use ?

All in all, an awful cruise and we will not be sailing with them again.
Brading10’s Full Rating Summary
Get Balmoral price drops

Superior Suite
Cabin SS 9047
As I said before apart from our balcony problem, our cabin was wonderful.
  Balmoral Deck Plans