Emerald Princess Cruise Review

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Cdn kitty

• Sail Date: Jan 2017
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Interior

We had a good time but the ports were a disappointment despite having visited them before. We took this cruise because we had such a good time on a similar itinerary a year ago. We had to skip Mystery Island. It was too rough for the ship to get into the bay....The fault of the weather? I question that because the Emerald skipped it last time it was here too. Either the ship is too large for this port or the captain overly cautious. On Liffou (spelling?) we walked to Jenik Bay only to learn that you had to buy tickets for the reef on the ship. I watch the program on the port twice and np mention was made of this change. We were here a year ago and the tickets were cheaper and available at the Bay. It would have taken too long to buy tickets and return. We were not alone in our disappointment. Noumea continues to baffle me- why stop here? Lack luster port!

I was also disappointed I the dining room food. The food was good but seldom great. re they trying to push people to the up-charge restaurants? On of Princesses signature dished Fettuccini Alfrado has been change by the dropping of the cheese baskets, disappointing many guests. BRING IT BACK! The dessert selection was very limited. Only one dessert was so good that I declared it banned from my kitchen because I would not be able to leave it alone.

As usual, most staff were wonderful, with a few less than such, but when you work such long hours under high pressure to be perfect, who can blame them for being human?

Cdn kitty's Full Rating Summary

Interior
Cabin IC A721

The cabin was one of our favorite for the category. It had lots of storage and enough room to move around.

Noumea

Once is more than enough for this port. Not much here.

Sydney (Australia)

Love Sydney and always find lots to see and do. We went to the Terangant (?) Zoo

Port Vila

We took a disappointing tour off the dock. Be warned that the cost advertised by the drivers does not include entrance fees, which triple to actual cost. Our driver "forgot" to mention this until we were a couple of miles away from the dock. There are thinks to see at a high cost but mostly the Aussies want the duty free booze (I think).

Champagne Bay (Vanuatu)

Beautiful beach but poor snorkeling (if that is what you are looking for).

Mystery Island

Weather prevented stopping here- question if this ship is too big for this stop.....second time in a row the ship could not dock. I was here a year ago and it is a very good stop.

Cdn kitty