• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Westerdam Review

Editor Rating
52 Awards

Everything we hoped it would be and so much more

Review for Westerdam to the Mexican Riviera
TheOceansAwait
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Dec 2016
Cabin: Signature Superior Verandah Suite

This was my family's first cruise and we were not disappointed. In fact, we were surprised at how attentive the staff was and how well-cared-for we felt. We had no pre-conceptions or notions as to how cruises generally were so we were surprised at all of the niceties and courtesies we were given while on the cruise and at ports. We have decided cruising is the most bang for the buck because there would be no way a family of 5 could stay for 7 nights, have at least 3 meals a day, attend events and shore excursions and basically have your every wish granted. It was a real eye opener. I mean, sure, there will be times where we'll want to travel to one destination and spend more than a day there but it was perfect to get a sampling of the Mexican Riviera for a day and then go back to OUR ship and get comfortable again. It becomes a proprietary thing, when you feel you belong to a ship and a ship belongs to you. We feel that way about the Westerdam but we're definitely going to give the rest of Holland America's fleet a chance. We're already getting ready to book our next annual family vacation with HAL. I also think I would consider a quick getaway for my husband and me aboard HAL, too. Holland America is definitely a destination for every family of every type - small, large, empty-nesters, etc... So glad we chose Holland America!!

Signature Superior Verandah Suite

Cabin SS

We had adjoining Signature suites and we had them remove the divider on the balconies so we could connect the rooms. It was amazing! Our rooms were kept immaculately and the staff were so friendly and gently professional that we never felt hovered over or bothered by their presence in any way.

Port Reviews

San Diego

This was our departure port so we didn't do much at this location. San Diego is beautiful and though it was a bit chilly, the weather was perfect for a stroll near the port. The port was immaculately kept and we felt secure there.

2 Helpful Votes