3. Grand Princess
The Grand Princess is grand no more. The dry dock in December 2016 brought new carpet in some public areas, amd new mattresses. The state room carpets are still in need of replacement, and the old girl is showing her age in many other ways. Uneven flooring, creaking joints between ceiiling panels and wall parts, resulting in very loud noises when we hit rougher water. Dining: Anytime Dining is our choice. Reserving a table is almost impossible. They open the reservation line at 8 am and allow only 20% of the tables to be reserved. I cannot imagine why. The food is no longer as good as it was on voyages past, although things did improve mid voyage when a new chef boarded the vessel. The soups are consistently salty, according to all the people with whom we dined. The Maitre Ds were great with my odd food allergy. Entertainment: fewer show numbers than I expected, lots of vocalists, who were not to my personal taste. The shows we attended were brief, usually less than 30 minutes in duration. Music, as always is way too loud. Ear plugs are a standard travel item for me. Onboard activities: trivia, excellent as usual. A couple of the presenters were prone to soeeding through the sessions, most presenters and their questions were great. A scavenger hunt, provided at my request, (kudos to the staff for that) was hastily slapped together, and it showed. The ultimate disappointment was how the end of the hunt was handled. It turned out to be a participation award rather than the contest all the participants had anticipated. As the Grand allows smoking in an area of the casino, and the doors may not be closed, the atrium (all 3 decks) smelled strongly of smoke. I was told the ventilation officer,would change the suction in the casino. If anything changed I did not notice it. Many passengers (and the passenger services desk staff) were heard complaining about the smell. A similar issue was noticeable in the One5, on deck 15. The smoking area outside it is accessible through the lounge, so every,time a smoker entered or exited the area the smoke filtered into the One5. Not an idea set up, especially for those with allergies. Ports in Hawaii are great, and it was nice not to have to run the gauntlet of a lot of vendors. We never use the ship excursions, so no issues there. Ensenada was even more of a joke than expected. I know the legal requirement of going there, but less than 4 hours, mostly after dark, did not make the port attractive. It seemed most people planned to do their packing while we were in port! As we could not set foot on shore due to bad weather, it was a non issue, but rearranging the timing to give passengers a little more time in Ensenada might make both the cruise line and the Ensenada vendors a little more money. Disembarkation: as this cruise attracts a lot of elite passengers, the Platinum lounge was overfilled, meaning we had to find other places to wait. It,would be better if they had more,areas,set aside for Platinum and Elite guests. Otherwise disembarkation was handled well.

Grand Princess