Disney Magic Cruise Review

Expected More, But Good Gluten Free Dining

Disney Magic Cruise Review by liseybeast

• Sail Date: Oct 2016
  • Destination: the Bahamas

I love the Disney Magic! This was my second Disney cruise and both have been on the Magic out of NYC. I was sailing with my parents and we did not have any kids with us. Overall, nothing beats the service on a Disney cruise and the food is great, but I was a little underwhelmed. If I go on another Disney cruise I will probably choose one that does not have so many days at sea since there were times my family was bored and didn't know what to do. One can only play trivia so many times. But still a fun, relaxing vacation. We're not big Halloween people and were worried we'd be annoyed with the Halloween theme, but it was subtle enough that it didn't bother us and we just skipped some of the Halloween activities. More details:

Embarkation and Disembarkation:

Was super smooth. The embarkation started a little late but we were still on the ship pretty early.

Outside Cabin:

The split bath on Disney ships is very convenient when a few people are sharing a cabin. I also like that the couch converts to a bed so I did not have to be on a top bunk.

Dining (Gluten Free):

At every dinner, the menu has at least one appetizer, one soup or salad, and one entree that is gluten free. Usually there are multiple options except for Pirates Night which has the worst offerings for gluten in free in my opinion (which is a shame bc it's so much fun). At Cabanas the chef was incredibly helpful in walking me through my options and there was always a gluten free dessert I could ask for. Some of my favorite gluten free meals were the black bean soup at Carioca's, the duck at Lumiere's, and smoked salmon tartar from Animator's Palate. I also had 2-3 pizzas throughout the week as an afternoon snack from Pinocchio's up on the pool deck. Palo was good but a little of a let down. It started great with the antipasto tray, but then the waiter forgot to bring out my appetizer. We had also ordered a mushroom risotto to be shared but the waiter failed to grasp that he should have brought out a gluten free one for the table and brought out one that had a garnish that was definitely not gluten free. The prime beef tenderloin was amazing though and the chocolate soufflé at the end was everything! My one big disappointment with gluten free was breakfast. I was tired of ordering either waffles or eggs and asked if I could get gluten free pancakes. The waitress said yes, but I ended up waiting forever for them (other people had come and gone and we were still waiting) and when they arrived they had dry flour crumble out of them when I cut into them. The pancakes I make at home from gluten free Bisquick are 10x better than those pancakes. I forced myself to eat a few bites after smothering them in syrup before I gave up. Overall though you will eat well if gluten free!

Entertainment and Activities:

Love the Broadway style shows. I could have skipped the ventriloquist though... he definitely was trying too hard. As far as activities, my parents and I were bored during the at sea days on the ship by the end of the week. We had already had pedicures, done trivia, watched movies, played Bingo, and sat by the pool. It was fun but got stale after awhile. I did however have one of the best massages I've ever had at the spa. And if you're adventurous the AquaDunk waterslide is a must try. At night, my dad and I did two of the tastings, the rum and whiskey. The woman that the led the tastings did a great job and we enjoyed meeting some new people. Keys was our got to bar in the evening, but the couches in the middle are very uncomfortable. They changed up the menu when they did the refurbishment and our favorite drink was missing, but the waitress new exactly what we were looking for so we must not be the only ones who miss it!

Service:

Service is always great on a Disney Cruise. The only time we encountered anyone negative was at breakfast the morning of the awful pancakes. After waiting what had to at least have been 20mins we asked if they were going to be out soon and the waitress was very snippy.

Ports and Excursions:

Castaway Cay lived up to the hype! The adult only beach was gorgeous and quiet. The BBQ at lunch had a fantastic spread that really impressed me. My dad and I rented bikes and rode around the island for 45mins or so. I was sad to leave this gorgeous little oasis.

Having the day in Disney worked out surprisingly well, also! We left very early and got straight on a bus and we barely had to wait at the end of the day either to get back to the ship. Lots of people in pajamas that night at Cabanas... Disney is tiring!

liseybeast's Full Rating Summary

Castaway Cay

Castaway Cay was beautiful! The adult only beach was out of the way and quiet. The food was surprisingly really good. This island was probably the highlight of the trip.

Walt Disney World

A day at Disney was included with our cruise. The back and forth on the bus was easy to do and did not take as long as we thought it would. Ended up staying at the Magic Kingdom all day. We got to ride everything we wanted by utilizing the three fast passes.

View All 100 Walt Disney World Reviews