3. Grandeur of the Seas
This cruise left Baltimore, which worked for us because we could park at the port. Boarding was no more difficult than it has been for any cruise we've taken. (Compared with some of our fellow cruisers, we are pretty new at this!) Royal Caribbean's best asset is its crew, and I told them so in our survey. The crew made this cruise a grade 4. We met so many crew members who were willing to answer our (probably nosy) questions about their home nations and families. They showed us pictures of children and towns and parents, when things got slow at a bar, for instance. Even the young women cleaning our bathrooms were willing to practice their English and offer us a paper towel to open the door. Our cabin steward was a shining light for sure! The ship is ready for a sprucing up, which is scheduled this spring. Paint is chipped and rust is showing. We live around salt water, so we are aware of how much damage salt water does to infrastructure. However, in all the time that we were aboard, we only saw windows washed on the highest decks. Sitting on 4, 5, or 6 trying to look out a window was almost painful. This, too, I mentioned in my review. We don't cruise to look at each other. We like the water view. I had the "opportunity" to visit the medical facilities on this cruise, and this was a first for us! Our care was prompt, the nurses and doctor efficient, and my glued cut is healing nicely! Another wonderful experience, since I ended up having to go. Since I like karaoke, which was available nightly, we did not get to see many of the shows, so I will leave that up to other reviewers. Also, we did not get off the ship much, so excursions are not included in this review. Some pretty major things went wrong with the ship. A lifeboat breaking away from its restraints during an exercise is no small thing. Flooded decks from a water line break do not make this a 5. We were without water overnight, and were not offered bottled water. We were without hot water in our cabins beyond that. Not ideal, but - as we say to kids at school - this is not a crisis, just an inconvenience. Finally, I will remember for next time that Sunday religious services were not available. I offered, as a lay person, to arrange some Word and music, but the response from the front desk was almost warm, at best. These things need to be arranged ahead of time. Overall, I was pleased with our cruise, because we leave determined to be happy, and because the ship's crew was so very pleasant. It was our first Royal Caribbean. We would take another with them.

Grandeur Served Us Well