3. Pacific Princess
We live near Seattle WA so most cruise options are to Alaska and we're not interested in going back there (went twice, both times it rained almost every day even in "best weather" August!, and my husband isn't big on scenery or wildlife). We chose this cruise, departing from Los Angeles, because it went to warm ports, which we prefer, because it was a longer trip (14 days), and also because it was Princess' 50th Anniversary Cruise - recreating Princess Patricia's first cruise to the Mexican Riviera. It went to some of the same ports as that original itinerary, but included different ones as well. For us it was exciting because except for Cabo San Lucas all the ports were new to us: Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Mazatlán, Loreto, and La Paz. We did a tour with tablemates at Puerto Vallarta - out into the countryside where the 'real' people lived - but mostly just got off the ship and wandered around, sightseeing and shopping. Exciting to see the different cities, and I loved La Paz; it was a charming little town, with college-girl 'ambassadresses' who told me a little about their country. We really hit it off with the other three couples at our dinner table, were all very compatible and had similar interests. We thought the dinner service was a bit lacking - it appeared that there was only one table steward instead of always two on other cruises; so there were gaps between courses, and water glasses stood empty where normally they'd have been immediately refilled when still a third full. Only thing we could figure was that they'd sailed with less than the normal crew complement. Other than that, everything was excellent, as usual on our Princess trips; it's our favorite line, and we really like the small-ship experience.

Love Boat 50th Anniversary Cruise!

Pacific Princess Cruise Review by juliajoy

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Owner's Suite with Balcony

juliajoy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Pacific Princess price drops

Owner's Suite with Balcony
Cabin S2 7114
Terrific stateroom! My husband spends a lot of time in the room so we don't sail unless we can get a suite, and fortunately Pacific Princess has ten of them. 7114 is the aft port-side stateroom. There's a guest bathroom right inside the door, then the living area with a couch, two chairs, and cocktail table, plus a table for four, doors to the balcony, and a refrigerator and large TV in a big entertainment center; with a suite you get free laundry and dry cleaning, as well as free rental from the DVD library. Passing by the dining table you enter the separate sleeping/closet/bathroom area, with a curtain to pull across for privacy, and a desk by the second set of balcony doors. Three double-door closets meant room for everything WE brought!, plus smaller doored compartments and a desk/makeup table, where we usually charge batteries or phones. The bathroom has a Jacuzzi tub with two shower head attachments; very relaxing! There are two mirrored doors with shelves behind so plenty of room for both of us to spread our toiletries out. We're not rich, but save for these trips so we can have the luxury of the space these suites provide - besides being able to go home with almost all our clothes clean!
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cabo San Lucas
    I'd been to Cabo San Lucas in 2001 (first cruise) and 2010 (when we took my mother and aunt along with us), so was stunned to see that the harbor had basically disappeared; the large open space from the first two visits had become many more piers and dock sites for the hundreds of boats crowding the marinas - from small fishing or tour boats to HUGE yachts. On our first visit there was a 15-minute dirt-road walk from the tender dock, and in 2010 the town had grown out to meet that dock--with many shops and boat-tour vendors, plus a huge building with vendor stalls carrying almost everything anyone could want. We took a pedal-cab ride into town where we looked for a silver-filigree mirror for my aunt back home (found nothing remotely close to what she'd want) then my husband went back in the 'cab' and I wandered around town, which had become unrecognizable from the first two visits. There were big new resort hotels beside the expanded marina, and big-name shops and restaurants. It was hard to see any of what the town had been in 2001, but interesting nevertheless. Also felt safe there walking around alone, as in La Paz. Had a good time.
    View All 1,277 Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Review
  • La Paz
    La Paz was a 30-minute bus ride from the port (which had vendor stalls just past ship security lines), with interesting country to see on one side and the large bay or inlet on the other. My husband rode in but decided he didn't care to walk around so went back on the same bus. I walked down the Malecon to the south(?) end, talking to two college girls who were "ambassadresses" for their country, telling me something of their history and the significance of the different waterfront statues they were standing near. I had lunch (at Applebee's!) then wandered up the hill to the church and through a pre-Christmas street fair/sale, with almost anything you could want available, and lots of the residents buying food or school clothes or toys. Had a great time, felt safe the entire time though I was alone, and talked to some of the locals I passed.
    View All 62 La Paz Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's La Paz Cruise Port Review
  • Los Angeles
    Simply passed through LA on our way from airport to port terminal.
    View All 500 Los Angeles Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Los Angeles Cruise Port Review
  • Mazatlan
    "Free and compulsory" shuttle through the container area to a building on the pier with shops. A fellow passenger said Mazatlan had been closed to cruise ships for two years as passenger safety couldn't be guaranteed ashore, so the vendors in the stalls were very eager to sell; prices started at say $25 for a silver bracelet (though I didn't look for the .925 that should be stamped on real silver) but as I walked away he was calling "for you ... $20 ... $10? ... you tell me what you pay" and I could have gotten any number of items for as little as $1. :-)
    View All 578 Mazatlan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mazatlan Cruise Port Review
  • Puerto Vallarta
    We didn't take a Princess shore excursion but our tablemates had arranged an "into the countryside" van tour. We saw small towns which looked like 'shacks' to us but our guide (Yessica) told us they grew their own food, made their own tortillas, had everything they needed including good neighbors, and were happy, which was nice to know. We also stopped at a building to watch the making of tortillas, with one to taste and a sharp white cheese to sample in the tortilla. Then a tequila factory where we got an explanation of how tequila is made (real tequila, not the "mescal" sold most places) and sampled six different tequilas; much smoother and more tasty than a young-adult experience with tequila (awful stuff!) - and ... NO hangover! :-) ... This was a fun few hours, and interesting to see how the 'real' people lived.
    View All 936 Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port Reviews