3. Oosterdam
I am new to this site as a fellow passenger just told me about it on my last cruise.  However, I have taken other cruises and have greatly enjoyed those trips, especially the Alaska Inside Passage.  Unfortunately, my first posting on this site turns out to be negative.  My family and I enjoyed the ports of call but received horrible service from Holland America, specifically the MS Oosterdam front desk staff who were rude and unhelpful.  Our steward was wonderful and the dining experience in the Lido restaurant was positive.   Now for the negatives...We were assigned to a cabin that we discovered to be flooded upon entry.  The front desk refused to reassign us but agreed to send someone to address the problem.  That "someone" never showed up.  We walked in shoes over luggage mats on the floor for three days so as not to step in the disgusting mess.  Multiple calls had no effect on remedying the problem.  The floor finally dried on its own after a few days, but who knows what was left behind.  Other matters: Errors were made with our dinner reservations, the food served was not as listed on the menu (in the Vista Dining Room, the self-service Lido was fine), other passengers were allowed to make dinner reservations for the week when the policy is daily only, ice was served with a communal scoop with no gloves leaving us to wonder about health code violations, no onboard laundry machines, and many mistakes were made with cabin charges not only on our bill but those of many others with whom we spoke.  Holland America management was slow to respond and patronizingly condescending in their generic letter.In short, I highly recommend the area as Venice, the Greek Islands, Pompeii (shore excursion booked separately through Viator), and the Cinque Terre were wonderful.  The views from the cruise ship were great including passing Mt. Stromboli and watching it erupt at night.  My family and I will never travel with Holland America again and will be looking for a more customer-friendly cruise line.  Just wanted to warn others.  Now I know about this forum, I hope to be helped with my next cruise booking choice.

Great Ports- Nightmare Service

Oosterdam Cruise Review by weektripper

• Sail Date: May 2009
  • Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)
weektripper’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)
Cabin HH
Disgusting soaked floor never cleaned despite many requests.  Fair closet space. Small sitting area.  Fair bathroom size for a cruise ship.  No view though had booked "ocean view" (lifeboat in the way).
Upper Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins