3. Viking Lofn
My wife and I chose this cruise because it offered the chance to visit several countries we wanted to, view a multitude of castles, and do so with the benefit of experienced guides and organizers rather than trying to wing it on our own. Absolutely the only thing that did not go perfectly smoothly was the initial flight to Europe, which was delayed due to weather and caused us to miss our connecting flight. Fortunately they were able to get us on the next flight and less than two hours were lost. From the moment we claimed our bags at the airport in Switzerland, our only real worry was whether or not our souvenirs would all fit in our bags for the return trip. -Ship: The ship itself was beautiful, spacious, well-maintained, and comfortable. The other Viking ships we passed on the river appeared to be up to the same high standard, while some of the other cruise lines did not. By the end of the trip I will admit to having felt a bit of prideful disdain for the ships of other cruise lines. -Cabin: Our cabin was perfect for the occasion. Comfortable enough to move around in, plenty of space for our belongings and luggage. The heated floors in the bathroom were especially appreciated. A larger cabin or suite would be nice if we intended to spend a large amount of time in our cabin, but space comes at a premium on a ship and we decided that would be a waste given the large number of excursions we had planned. It all worked out, as we essentially only used our cabin for sleeping and showers. -Dining: The food was consistently excellent, with a daily variety of local dishes and wine, and a selection of alternative dishes that remain available throughout the entire cruise. At no point was I anything less than impressed by excellent meals provided on the ship. -Entertainment and Activities: Although my wife and I did not attend many of the on-ship activities due to having a full schedule of shore excursions, we found the ones we did attend to be informative and entertaining. -Service: Everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome and like family. When I wanted to purchase a jacket and my size was not on the ship, our concierge got in contact with every other Viking boat on the river and within a day or two the jacket was hanging from our cabin door when we returned from an excursion. No request was not accommodated in some way. -Ports and Shore excursions: The tour guides were universally excellent, with a strong grasp of English and an intimate knowledge of the local area's history and present situation. Many of the excursions included food and drink, and while not all of these were of the same quality as the food on the ship, none were disappointing. I could take this same cruise again and probably still come home wanting to go back for another. My wife and I were so pleased and impressed with Viking that our only question is which of their cruises to plan for next.

Food, history, and castles. What more could you want?

Viking Lofn Cruise Review by DwarfKing