3. Viking Emerald
Visiting China had always been my dream, since I read about the Forbidden City many years ago. We chose Viking, because they offered several days of cruising, along with land visits to Shanghai, Beijing and Xian. I had priced out doing this sort of trip on our own, but when I cost-compared, the Viking trip was a bargain with all its detailed amenities. When we landed in Shanghai, we were met by a Viking rep. who took us to our bus. Tired from the flight and time difference, it was great to just get to our hotel and sleep! All the hotels (3) we visited during the tour were wonderful - very clean and most employees spoke some English. Our guide (Jane)was with us the entire vacation, and she made our trip fabulous! Always patient, detailed and up-beat, Jane kept us informed about every step we took. I loved the "Vox" head-sets we were given for the trip!! With these ear-buds, we never missed any of Jane's instructions or explanations! I've been on tours where I've missed half of what the guide says ...... but NOT on this trip :) The ship, including our cabin, was lovely. The food on board was excellent, with a great choice of entrees at dinner and lunch. I really appreciated the "American" food available at breakfast. The shows that Viking offered were optional, and did cost a bit more than we had planned. But they were worth very penny! The martial arts play was a complete program with enchanting music, costumes, light and sound effects. I was dazzled, and I would love to see it again! My husband and I loved the visits to the terra cotta warriers, the pandas, and the sampan/gorge trip. I've read that some travelers didn't like going to the shops that Viking arranged for jade carving and silk-strand embroidery. I loved these visits! I never felt pressured to buy -- but I was grateful to buy at reputable shops. After reading other reviews, I was prepared to eat truly Chinese food, and to only drink bottled water. We found the food interesting and usually delicious. Since most meals were served "family style," we never went hungry and always found two or three things we loved at each restaurant. It was a fabulous trip, and one we will never, ever forget!

Tour of China - the Yangtze and more

Viking Emerald Cruise Review by quiltingpiggy

quiltingpiggy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Emerald price drops

Clean and comfortable. Bed was a bit hard, but I have that problem at most all hotels.
There was plenty of hot water, and bottled water for drinking was replenished every day.