Our best cruise ever!: Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by grandmarnnurse

956 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Our best cruise ever!

Sail Date: January 2017
We chose this cruise because we wanted to try Norwegian's Freestyle cruising and this ship and all it had to offer appealed to us. It was the right choice! We LOVED this ship, and Norwegian's Freestyle cruising! We loved it so much, we are trying to get our adult children and their families to go on the Getaway in 2018 for a family cruise! The food was excellent, and my hubby's favorite place to be was at O'Sheehan's Irish Pub! The buffet food was the best we've ever had! We were very pleased with how the MDRs had more of a fine restaurant feel, rather than one big banquet hall. We booked one specialty restaurant--Moderno (Brazilian Steakhouse) for my birthday, and it was superb! Certainly a memorable birthday! We also booked the Illusionarium--a dinner with illusionist show--and that was an excellent Surf and Turf dinner with a desert trio!! A great time there! There certainly isn't a shortage of things to do onboard--always something to do--or just relax. My favorite spot was More relaxing in a chair on the Waterfront, and favorite bar was the Sugarcane Mojito bar. We booked only an inside cabin, as we rarely spend much time in our room. It was very small--smaller than an inside cabin on some other cruise lines--but adequate enough, and we wouldn't hesitate to book the same cabin category again. Although we are a couple in our 60s, we did enjoy attending the Glow Party up in Spice H2O--the adult only area that also has a lovely waterfall area to cool off, along with 2 hot tubs, a bar, chairs and lounge chairs. I was very happy with their Sail Away Party on our first day and evening, as I was disappointed on my RCCL cruise 2 years ago that they did not do anything special for Sail Away! Can't wait to cruise the Getaway again!! Less

Published 01/28/17

Cabin review: IF5702 Inside Stateroom

Very small, but more than adequate for our needs. It was a real bargain, for an excellent vacation.

Read All Inside Stateroom (IF) Reviews >>

A very lovely area. We just got off ship and shopped, but enjoyed ourselves there.
Read 1766 Costa Maya Reviews

I didn't give Cozumel a higher rating only because we chose not to do anything there, other than get off ship and do a little shopping. I was very happy we docked downtown, rather than the pier further away. If we were at the further pier, I wouldn't have bothered to get off. The reason? I've been to Cozumel so many times on various cruise ships, that I rather stay onboard and enjoy a more peaceful pool area.
Read 5489 Cozumel Reviews

We absolutely LOVED Harvest Caye, their new private island! The beach was beautiful, but so many broken seashells made it difficult to walk barefoot. They had a beautiful large pool with swim up bar, that my hubby and I spent a lot of time in! There are a lot of activities on the island for people to do for a fee--zip line, paddle boards, kayaks, among some. There are cabanas and villas also available for rent.

Everglades Tour

An interesting excursion viewing the Everglades, and transportation to our airport to fly home.

Beach Day

Loved Maya Key, but wasn't impressed with the lunch they provided.

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Western Caribbean Cruises