3. Carnival Sunshine
We flew to Florida and spent one night before we went to the ship. Our hotel was ok but we later found out from another long time cruiser that we paid about 300.00 more than we should have for transportation. Lesson learned on how to do that part without shuttle costs :( I cant say enough about how smoothly the embarkation and disembarkation went. We were three people and literally never hit a glitch over the ten day trip as far as customer service with Carnival. The ship, Sunshine, was our second trip and we liked the Carnival Glory far more than we liked the Sunshine. That being said, the ship was spotless. Our steward, Pedro, was friendly and so helpful. Every single person working on the ship was friendly and not one single time did I ever see a member of the staff that they were not working their fingers off. You couldnt sit a glass down that someone didnt appear out of nowhere to either take it to refill or offer to clean it from your area. The staff is so amazing ! The ship was perfect for our 11 year old. He loved the freedom and safety he felt and says he wants a cruise every year for Christmas and his birthday. We talked to dozens of people who had taken loads of cruises prior to this one and they all assured me that the horrible turbulence (not sure what the cruise word is for that, lol) that we experienced on the ship was very unusual. The whole trip down to our first port was so horrible as far as the boat movement. If we had gone on this particular cruise first we would probably never cruise again. But other guests kept telling us that they had been on dozens of other ones and this was the worst sea that they had ever experienced. There were times that you would wake up and fall from your bed. The bathroom door rocked open and closed all day and night. We hated that part and thank Gosh I took sea sickness patches with us. My 11 year old got sick once and I did as well. But again, everyone said that was very unusual and must have just been a freak weather situation that caused the sea to be so violent during this trip. If I had to make any complaints at all it would be with one of our excursions. We went out on a vessel that broke down on the ocean. It lost one of its engines. The guys dropped us off at a close by beach and we called for a taxi to come and get us so that we would not have to waist our day on St. Maarten or miss seeing the airplanes fly over. If I could give the ship any advice I would say that on the Glory last year they ran two movies in the evening on deck, one for PG or below and one after 9 pm for adults or people who didnt mind their kids hearing "F" or "GD" during a movie. I cuss, I do, but my 11 year old attends Christian school and he came and found me a half hour into the movie and said he didnt want to watch it and when I asked why he said that it was not appropriate for kids. LOL It would just be nice if they picked movies that were more kid friendly if they are going to show them on the big screen on deck where all the kids are playing. Especially if they start them at 6 in the evening. It is not a deal breaker but would be nice if they thought of that. Loved Grand Turk's port. It was the most easy and relaxing as they built it custom for the cruisers. Get off, lay down and enjoy paradise. San Juan was beautiful. We went out on our own by Taxi and enjoyed it in spite of the extreme walking we did that day :) Saint Kitts is probably my favorite of all the ports I have ever seen. It took my breath away the first time I saw it. Would repeat that location again for sure on a future cruise. And whatever you do, take the mini speedboat excursions ! Oh they were so fun and the guys on the excursion were so fun. Emma the ship Cruise Director was so full of energy and super fun to watch. We giggled that she must do crack between sets because she had so much energy in spite of the fact that it appeared to us she couldnt possibly ever sleep :) Our cabin was 2136 and we had me, my husband and an 11 year old and there were more than enough places for all three of us to take a seat and relax while in the room. Our Steward called us by name and kept up our room like it was his only job. At the end of the trip I found out that my 11 year olds favorite thing to do was ride the glass elevator up to Lido while making stupid faces at the man who worked in the art gallery. (grrr) So he was completely shocked when at the end of the trip the guy approached him and gave him an envelope full of prints he didnt sell on the journey. He said, Oh mom, I felt bad for making silly faces at him once I realized how nice he was. Kids, what can ya do with them :) The food was always there, we gained 6 pounds each ! We only used the dinning room one time but that was simply because we loved guys burgers and the 24 hour pizza so much we never had room for the dinning room. We did feel like they needed far more hot tub and swimming pools than they offer on this boat. There were dozens of times that they had the adult hot tub closed and both the Lido deck hot tubs would be closed on many occasions. I could never understand that part as I felt that with all the people that were on the ship they should do the maintenance at night while the majority of guests would be asleep. I am searching for our next trip to start planning and we will stick with Carnival until we just cant find a location that we have visited before or are sick of. I completely would and have recommended it to others.

Pretty awesome with one excursion exception. Staff is Top Notch.

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by whatwendysaid

I completely would and have recommended it to others.
whatwendysaid’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6D 2136
Pedro kept our cabin spotless and it had plenty of space for our three members of the family.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins