3. Nieuw Amsterdam
We decided to cruise on one of HAL’s newer ships, the Nieuw Amsterdam, as we have been on their small ships for long cruises. For the most part, we were not disappointed with this cruise. Dining: The main dining room served excellent food and the service was also excellent. Every night was an enjoyable experience. The Lido restaurant offered a wide variety of foods. I especially enjoyed their salad bar, which they put together while you tell them what you want. I always like the poached egg bar in the morning where I get an egg Florentine and my husband likes their omelets. We ate in the Pinnacle Grill once for lunch and the experience was great and well worth the money. The explorations café is also a nice experience. Entertainment: We have always enjoyed HAL’s entertainment shows with their own singers and dancers with beautiful costumes, but they have changed the type of shows. The sets and costumes are almost nothing compared to the previous and the music trends toward more pop and away from the sometimes classical. Needless to say, we were disappointed in their own productions, but did like the other entertainment. Of course, Adagio, the violin and piano, puts HAL a step above other cruise lines. We listened to them almost every night. The BB King Blues Club is also wonderful as we listened to one set of that and then walked down the way to Adagio. What more could you ask for! This was a wonderful cruise and I highly recommend HAL for a cruise with a touch of class.

HAL does it right. Great cruise!

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Travelgrandma10

Travelgrandma10’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin V 5072
Standard balcony room. Good location.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins