Crystal Serenity Cruise Review

A refined traveler's expectations not met

Crystal Serenity Cruise Review by Refined traveler

• Sail Date: Jan 2017
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean

When you can pay $10,000 for an 11-day cruise as we did vs. $4000 for a lower level brand, the difference is luxury and exceeding expectations.

On the positive The spa services were exceptional I had the best haircut of my life which cost $40 and two great 90 minute massages which cost $300. So when you were spending extra money, service was impeccable.

On our arrival the driver was brusk, not a good first impression. After we were allowed to get off the bus the porters did not give us instructions we did not know where to walk, very confusing.

I found room service to be especially poor. Many mistakes on our food orders including delivering the same order twice. The days of being able to make "special requests" is over! Though the staff is not fully aware of this fact. This was especially frustrating since 1/2 of the staff told us we could make a special request for dinner or for room service.

The cabins are very small even with a balcony.

Most guests have traveled previously with Crystal. Crystal relies on these passengers repeat business. But this posses a problem for cruisers like us that are new to Crystal. The staff is very vague with directions or when answering a specific question.

I see most of these negatives as a reflection of a poor management. You know there are "issues" when the president has a memo in the newsletter asking passengers to contact him with issues rather than give a negatve rating. I requested to speak to the maître d' about some of my concerns but Leo is too busy. I then requested to speak to the food and beverage manager but i was I told he was busy and I had to wait till the next day to make an appointment to see him. I just grew weary of "let me talk to my manager about your request" which was another way of saying no.

I don't mean to be over critical since there are many pluses with Crystal but you should expect many pluses. Reviewing A luxury cruise line relative. A rating of three would be paying that expectations for the price. I will not be traveling again with Crystal, I'll find another cruise line who will exceed my expectations for $10,000

Refined traveler's Full Rating Summary