3. Adventure of the Seas
My wife and I were trying to decide where to go for a Caribbean vacation; I voted for an all-inclusive resort, my wife wanted to go on a cruise. So, off we went on a cruise (I lost the vote 1-1; perhaps interference from Russia in the voting process). We (my wife), chose Adventure of the Seas. I read the reviews; mostly bad--bad food, bad service, and the condition of the ship was shabby (since the refurbishment was not complete). Needless to say, I went in with a bad attitude. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The ship was clean and in good shape. The food was pretty good, and the service was also quite good. The ship was in fine shape; not shabby, run down, or dirty at all. Our state room was very spartan. Granted, we kinda' slummed it in a lower end stateroom (2290), and got what we paid for. The room was of adequate size, although I found the bed a bit firm for my tastes. The fixtures were very institutional (plastic sink and toilet. It was a very small spray shower). There was adequate storage space. I would have liked an electrical outlet near the bed to charge my phone overnight where it would also be nearby. My wife was impressed by the vanity and mirror; she remarked that it was very good lighting to apply her makeup. In short, I wasn't exactly disappointed in the room considering we went on the cheap. We got what we paid for. We ate basically two meals a day; breakfast in the buffet, and dinner in the MDR. The breakfast selection was the same every day; eggs (scrambled, and an omelet station; usually with a long line), meats (bacon, ham and sausage), biscuits and gravy and other breads, pancakes, waffles (pre-made), fruits, and pastries. I usually stuck to scrambled eggs, ham, and corned beef hash (I'm a protein freak). These were just OK; nothing bad, nothing great. The pastries were usually dry. The MDR was pretty good. The first night we were served 'filet mignon'. I use the quotes because I'm not sure it was actually filet mignon. It was dry and flavorless, and square shaped (?). I've never seen square filet. It was bad. I thought this was quality of meal is what I was in store for the rest of the week. I was pleasantly surprised. The food was generally good; I had osso bucco, pasta, and chicken (I stayed away from the steak. I'm a steak snob, and know they couldn't possibly meet my meat expectations). The desserts were pretty good too; loooooved the sticky bread pudding. We're not drinkers, so I couldn't comment on the wines. Sorry. And to work off the meals, I went to the gym regularly. The gym was fine. It seemed of adequate size, and with a decent amount of equipment that's in good shape. If there was any complaint it was the number of kids playing around with the equipment (it's supposed to be a 16 and older policy. It's loosely enforced). The gym is located at the front of the ship, with a nice view. They could position the TV sets better, however. The itinerary; eh....it's the Caribbean. You're basically going from one beach to the next. The one complaint I would have is the short time in port; we left at 4:00-4:30 each day. It felt like we were always rushed in port. We did do a few cool things. In Barbados we did a submarine excursion. That was cool. We went down 150 feet to explore a shipwreck and reef. This was packaged with a 2.5 hour land tour. BOOOOORING!!!! If you choose to do this, see if you can bug out of the land tour. The other cool thing we did was in St. Maarten. We went to Maho beach, which is beautiful. And, it is right next to the airport. The planes upon landing fly just overhead. It's a really cool experience watching those planes come in so close. Embarkation took an hour. Too long. It was somewhat my fault for not completing some of the paperwork ahead of time (but this took only an extra 10-15 minutes). Our luggage ended up in our room by about 4PM. Disembarkation was a breeze. I was prepared for up to two hours to get off the ship and through customs. It actually took about 20 minutes (maybe a bit too lax at the customs check. The agent let us through practically with a wink and a nod). The entertainment was fine. I'm not much for the entertainment thing. The ship's company did fine; I was neither overwhelmed, nor underwhelmed by them. The ice show is interesting, but it's not really my thing. The juggler was very good; good stage presence and rapport with the audience. On one night was a comic act; "Two Funny Guys". They were brothers from Argentina. They weren't bad, except for the last 10 minutes of their act. The do some kind of martial arts thing with these ropes. I didn't get it. In all, I did have a good time on the cruise after all (please don't tell my wife. I protested and pouted the whole time so as to save face). I felt the cruise overall met, or exceeded expectations (largely due to the poor reviews I had read previous).

Better than Expected