3. Oasis of the Seas
This was my first cruise, and my husband's second. It is the opposite of the kind of vacation we usually take, and I had no idea what to expect. A professional group I'm part of decided on this cruise, so there we were. I'm afraid that now I'm a convert! We had such a good time. We chose a large interior stateroom, and found it to have more than enough space for the two of us. There were lots of little shelves, and drawers, and more than enough closet space, so we managed to lead a mostly organized life for the week. The room was spotless every time we came back to it. The showers aren't large, but there was excellent water pressure and plenty of hot water. Our steward was fabulous - I managed to irritate an old shoulder injury by snorkeling and scuba diving, and he made sure I always had ice and ziploc bags. I assumed we would spend a few evenings eating at the specialty restaurants, but we never made it out of our dinners in the Main Dining Room. We were sitting with a great group of people, and the waitstaff were amazing - hysterical, attentive, very helpful. The culinary staff went above and beyond to attend (creatively!) to the dietary restrictions of several people at the table. We had such a good time we never managed to try anything else at dinner! We alternated breakfasts between room service and the Windjammer. We did have one day that our room service came more than half an hour late, so arrived while we were literally walking out the door for our early shore excursion. We grabbed a few pastries and sent it back. Later that day we received a note of apology along with some chocolate covered strawberries, so I really felt like they tried to make the best of it. We spent our evenings either in Jazz on 4 or the Schooner for the most part. The jazz band was top notch, and the classic cocktail menu in the Schooner was top shelf ;) Very nice! We also spent the time before dinner several evenings listening to a lovely violin/piano duo in Central Park. We had one shore excursion cancelled due to bad weather, but the other two went as planned. We went with a Discover Scuba Diving excursion in St. Thomas run by Underwater Safari, and I can't say enough good things about them. Great first experience with scuba, tons of personalized attention, and a lot of time to enjoy the day. The group I traveled with had seminars on the three sea days, and the conference space was very nicely set up. AV equipment worked as expected, lots of coffee and danishes, and quiet enough that it was easy to hear our speaker.

First Cruise - Wonderful Time!

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by gratanter

gratanter’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

• Island Tour
    We took the Taste the Best of Nassau tour. It started with a bus to the Heritage Museum of the Bahamas, then a short walk across the street to the Graycliff cigar and chocolate stores/manufacturers. The Museum guide was quite knowledgeable and friendly. The cigar and chocolate tours were both interesting (you got to watch them roll cigars, and make the chocolates) and included samples. I was surprised by the total lack of pressure on any of us to actually buy anything! I really appreciated that. The bus brought us back to the gated area by the pier with local crafts. We had our original, more active, excursion cancelled due to rough weather, but we enjoyed this one more than I expected, and I would certainly recommend it.
    View All 304 Island Tour Reviews
  • Snuba
    Sea Trek of St. Maarten was a lot of fun. We did the excursion with two friends. If you wear glasses, this is a great chance to keep them on and still get to go down in to the water and see fish. Two of our friends who went with us also don't really snorkel, so this was a great chance for them to get into the water. Great fun, and as long as you can climb down a ladder, you can do this excursion.
  • Scuba - beginner
    We did the Discover Scuba Diving excursion with Underwater Safari. They were wonderful! There were three of us trying scuba diving for the first time, and one instructor assigned specifically to us. We got our equipment, went over safety info and talked about skills on the boat, and then got into the water to start demonstrating skills. We all did that successfully, so on to the scuba diving! Great first experience with scuba, and I would highly recommend Underwater Safari (and Steve!) to anyone else looking to try scuba diving.
    View All 27 Scuba - beginner Reviews