3. Le Soleal
This cruise was planned by an affinity group (MIT alumni). I signed up because they always plan great trips with stimulating fellow travelers and my wife and I are mildly addicted eclipse chasers. Also, Australia/Indonesia/Malaysia is a part of the world that I had long wanted to visit. Le Soleal and Ponant exceeded expectations. The accommodations, crew, amenities, excursions, and food were all first class. We spent a day in Sydney before flying on to Darwin to meet the ship. Sydney was great fun, exactly what we expected from prior reading, surfing and recommendations. Darwin is just a place to meet the ship. Embarkation involved a long, boring wait in a typical but uncrowded, unadorned, unsupported boarding room. Disembarkation was fine. The ship has all the amenties I consider important. No casino but not much time for one. We upgraded to a suite which was a first-time, outstanding luxury to which we may become addicted. The French cuisine was outstanding, despite our various dietary restrictions. The combined MIT and ship's lectures were excellent. Service was impeccable. The shore excursions were interesting, educational, and fun. SCUBA would have been a plus but wasn't offered. However, the snorkeling sites were great. Yes, I would go again. In fact, we did, five months later on the same ship, in the same cabin, to Western Alaska and Siberia. Another great trip, albeit with somewhat lesser excursion quality. Great wildlife photo ops, though. But that's another story...

Best Eclipse Cruise Yet!

Le Soleal Cruise Review by rtavan

• Sail Date: March 2016
  • Destination: Asia

rtavan’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ponant Le Soleal price drops

The Prestige Suites are two Prestige Cabins connected by opening a wide, sliding door in the connecting wall. Each has its own bathroom, one with tub and one with shower. Each has identical desks, closets, and bureau. One has a large bed and the other a couch/sitting area. The sitting area includes a wonderful Nespresso machine and a desk just barely large enough for a small laptop. Great cabin!