3. Emerald Princess
This was our first cruise and we loved every second. The entire experience was amazing, and for me it was hard to find fault. I know with it being my first cruise, it could be argued that I have no other cruise lines to compare it to, but as far as holiday experiences go, I have to say it is one of the best I've had. It was completly stress free to board the ship, no queueing or waiting around, they had lots of people working the embarkation desks so everyone was boarded really quick. As soon as we stepped on board the staff couldn't do enough to welcome us. We spent half an hour having a drink in the international cafe, then went to find out stateroom. We were in an inside cabin (the cruise itself was a massive amount of money for our financial limits and we decided we weren't overly bothered about the room having a window or balcony). Upon entering our cabin our cases were already there, the room was way bigger than I thought it would be with lots of drawers, cupboards and wardrobe hanging space. I'm a typical girly girl with tons of clutter (make up, hair stuff, perfume, if boots sell it I brought it on the cruise with me) and my hubby was amazed that I didn't have stuff everywhere like I do when we normally go on holiday. This was because there was enough storage to keep it all tidy, and the bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was as big as it needed to be, with more storage space, a couple of times in the morning there had been a bit of water leak out over the toilet, I know people have complained about this but to be honest we were on a rocking ship so I'm not sure what they could really do to stop this. The floor towel provided was enough to soak it up anyway, and the flush shower etc all worked perfectly, the man looking after our room replaced the towels daily, cleaned daily, if we went and laid on our bed, when we left he remade it, he left chocolates on our pillows every night. In all honesty the overall treatment was like that of a top hotel that would no doubt cost a lot more to stay in. I'm a totally foodie and I was in heaven, my husband is a very fussy eater (sausage chips and beans and the sausages have to be only pork, the beans only Heinz.....I'm painting you a picture here), and we both found the food really good, he never struggled to find stuff he liked and I went to town and sampled so many amazing dishes. The main restaurant was really nice to sit in, the staff were good, and we didn't experience any of the long waits to be seated. We had a table for 2 mainly, but a couple of times opted to share. We ate in the restaurant every evening and used the horizon for breakfast and sometimes lunch. It did get busy at breakfast, but we always managed to find somewhere to sit and eat, the food was a good standard buffet. Similar in terms of selection to what you would get at a half board hotel, but I'd say much better quality and more freshly replenished, they were cooking and refilling so everything was fresh. We opted for the drinks package, although it was very expensive we were on our first holiday alone without our children and decided we would like to be able to have whatever we wanted, plus we then knew that our end bill would only have anything extra that we purchased. It was nice to be able to just order anything and not have to think about the price, I ended up drinking more than what I paid for, so it was a good deal for me as I drank cocktails, took the recommended wines at dinner, had an after dinner baileys every night, I drink a lot of Diet Coke, I had the speciality coffees, we took bottles of water with us on shore days. My husband only drinks lager, aside from a very occasional glass of wine, it wasn't much under what we paid but he would have spent a little less if we had paid for his drinks as we went. However I have no regrets as it was stress free not having to think about how much we were spending etc. I had read in previous posts that the bar staff were reluctant to serve people on the packages, but we never experienced this, in fact they came to us asking to refil our drinks before we even had chance to finish them, if anything. The ship was at full capacity for our cruise and we never really had to wait an excessive amount of time for them to take our drinks order and return with our drinks in any of the bars. We had 3 sea days at the start, so entertainment was a vital part of what made our cruise amazing. There was always something going on and if you are up for joining in you won't be sat around bored. Some of it sounded a little lame when we read it in the daily news letter, but we went just to have a nose and ended up winning a bottle of champagne (I'd say sparkling cheap ish wine lol) at champagne hoop toss, played the bean bag toss and we both really enjoyed it. We are both in our thirties so a lot of the other guests were a fair bit older than us but it never really bothered us. We laid by the pool every morning for a couple of hours watching the big tv, then in the afternoons we went to the quizzes and trivia events they had running. We found them all to be enjoyable, I can see why if you don't like doing a quiz or any of the games they had on that you might struggle to find something to entertain you during the day, but I don't know what they could really put on that would please everyone. In the evening we mainly went to the wheelhouse bar and watched comedians, the races night, mr and Mrs show and we loved them all. Neither of us are massive fans of the theatre so didn't go to the theatre much, so can't really comment, there didn't seem to be a lot of this type of show put on in all honesty. So if you are used to watching a proper theatre style show every night on other cruise lines then you might find this disappointing. We were really happy with the entertainment as it suited the types of things we like to do. One highlight was the Beatles tribute band playing on the top deck as we sailed out of Gran Canaria, totally amazing. We did our own thing in Gran Canaria, went on a Tuk tuk for a ride around the town of los palmas, went to the supermarket, had a walk along the beach. To be honest with hindsight I wish we had booked to go and see the sand dunes, but we still had a lovely day and it was nice after 3 days at sea, to have a little stroll around and chill out. In tenerife we booked to go on the coach down to playa de las Americas, this was a lovely day out, would highly recommend, the shopping was amazing, beach lovely and the guide on the bus was really good, gave us lots of tips and info. In lanzarote we booked the excursion to Puerto del carmen, again we were really pleased, it didn't cost a lot about £15 each and was worth it to have a lovely day at the beach. We did the cable car and snowless sledding in media and again we really enjoyed it, it was well run, and the guide was really helpful and friendly. Our last port was Vigo in Spain, here we just walked around the town, and then soaked up the last of the sun by the pool. On the whole we had an amazing time, I can see a coupe of things that people may find to criticise but for us there was very little that we didn't love. Not every thing is going to please every person, but I really think that when you consider how much you pay, and the service you receive, you need to ask yourself what hotel in the world u could go to, experience as many places, eat as much food as you like and be waited on pretty much all day long. We paid £1600 for both of us, which is a lot of money to us, but I'm pretty sure we would have to go a long wait to have got better for our money. Time will tell if we loved princess because it was our first experience, but I've got a feeling we will just love cruising with whichever line and just embrace the good points and not dwell on the negatives. We have booked to take our teenage sons on a 7 day msc cruise this September so we will see how it measures up. Loved princess, loved the canaries and loved not having to fly :)

We had an amazing time! Loved every second

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Bex9016

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Loved princess, loved the canaries and loved not having to fly :)
Bex9016’s Full Rating Summary