3. Costa Favolosa
My partner and I decided to treat ourselves to a romantic vacation with all the bells and whistles. Cost was not a significant factor in our decision but rather level of service. Our vacation started at an adults only resort in Punta Cana DR (Chic by Royalton - Diamond Club) which was an awesome experience. We chose Costa Favolosa for the second part of our vacation as it departed from DR and the ports of call were particularly interesting to us. We booked the best room available at the time. This was a Suite with a balcony. Room 7322. THE BAD The web site states that our package included: 1. access to a private ViP area in the terminal 2. A personal valet who will help you unpack and be at your disposal for the whole holiday 3. During the cruise there will be many exclusive activities to take part in. etc. This was the most blatant form of deceptive advertising. There is absolutely no VIP area (at least not in La Romana) and only one line for boarding. When I finally found a Costa Representative at the terminal he told me as much. The personal valet is a figment of their imagination also. We were on the ship in excess of 90 minutes before we met anyone from Costa, let alone the Valet. There is someone who cleans the rooms but has no clue about much else and is said to be a butler. I asked about use of the SPA and she suggested I go to Reception and get information as she did not know what package I was on. So much for personal valet. Needless to say this put a damper on our vacation as it did not start off well. THE GOOD Our package included dining at the Favolosa Club Restaurant. The experience was excellent. Although we were told we were reserved for the 6:30 seating we were able to eat at any time we pleased. This included breakfast, lunch and dinner. The quality of food was as good as any fine dining restaurant. Another couple who travelled with us and has been on 22 luxury cruises said it was the best food experience on a cruse ever. There was sufficient dancing and other entertainment for anyone. There was dancing in several locations until the wee hours of the morning. We had a premium drink package (intenditore). The drinks were of good quality including good cognac and tequila. The room although not large for a suite was clean and well appointed. It was cleaned daily to our satisfaction and a fresh bowl of fruit was delivered daily. The entire staff at the Club Favolosa Restaurant were as professional and friendly as can be. They made the trip a pleasure. Thank you all. A special thanks to Anna Maria at Reception who listened to my concerns about our boarding experience and did everything she could to satisfy us. She called on two occasions to see if there was anything she could do to improve our cruise experience. Costa needs more people like Anna Maria. Finally, my partner and I are not so regal as to need a butler and VIP area. We are just regular folks. We would have had a great time regardless and may have still booked this cruise. It is the deception we took offence to.

Good but much room for improvement

Costa Favolosa Cruise Review by John Andriano

• Sail Date: January 2017
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Suite with Balcony

THE BAD

The web site states that our package included:

1. access to a private ViP area in the terminal