Azamara Quest Cruise Review

Azamara Quest Cruise Review by dossbig

• Sail Date: Dec 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Club Deluxe Veranda Stateroom

We have cruised on Azamara at least 5 time prior to this cruise so we had a level of expectation. It was not met in many respects.

Since Azamara had a promotion on the air flights they booked our arrival to the San Juan airport for a 5:49 PM arrival. By the time we got our bags and a taxi it was around 7 PM when we got to the ship which was scheduled to leave at 9 PM.

At the doc there were no Azamara personnel and no porters to take our luggage. We dragged our luggage to and through a security check point. Then the problem really started. The gang way was not a ramp but about 50 steps straight up. NO HELP AVAILABLE! We our both in our 70's and in 85 degree humid weather had to schlep our bags up 50 steps.

Upon entering the ship we got the normal BS welcome and an offer of a glass of wine. I told them instead of wine perhaps luggage help would had been nice. Blank looks was what I got.

The next problem was that by arriving late I could get only lousy reservation at the extra cost restaurants. Other ships allow online bookings in advance. Azamara needs to adopt this.

The next day, 12/28/16, we had booked to go to Saint Martin's Orient Beach which we had been to many times before this visit. More about this advance booking later. The trip left over an hour late and Azamara took us to the tender a back route through the ship and completely forgot there was no beach towels or water for us until I asked. They then treated me disrespectfully for asking. Eventually they hand carried them to us on the tender.

On 12/29/16 we just shopped in St. Barts. It is very French and very expensive.

I looked at my onboard account and noticed a charge for our trip to St. Martin that I had prepaid. I called Customer Relations and told them of the error. The young lady was very condescending and said if I didn't believe her that I had not prepaid to call my credit card company if I had a cell phone. I did not call figuring I will wait until I get home and check.

On 12/30/16 we were at St. Kitts for the Azamazing Evening at the Gouverneur General's Home. It was a great event. Music, food and a police motorcade.

On 12/31/16 in St. Kitts we had a shore trip that everyone thought was to the Marriott to use the pool and beach. What did we get? about 3 hours of sightseeing a then being told we had ONE HOUR at the Marriott. Who can enjoy the pool and beach in one hour. VERY DISSAPOINTING.

The New Year's White Night Party was good until the ship did not leave on time at 9 PM because it was windy.

The next morning we were told the ship did not leave until 6 am because the side thrusters were too weak to get the ship away from the dock. Since we were late leaving we would skip stopping at Tortola and have 3 days at sea instead of two days as we headed to our final destination of Miami.

Upon getting home I saw that I had been double charged for the Saint Martin's trip and had to call and spend 30 minutes getting someone to refund my money.

We have cruised on Crystal, HAL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, NCL. Azamara is our preferred line but they sure under performed on this trip!

dossbig's Full Rating Summary

Club Deluxe Veranda Stateroom
Cabin VX 8002

It was what we expected since we have been on the ship before.

Beach

Most of the folks that are nude should not be nude.

Beach

The trip to Marriott gave you ONE HOUR to use the pool and beach. Disappointing..

dossbig