3. Celebrity Constellation
We have been on Celebrity for years ( Elite member) but I am sorry this is out last cruise with them! We made our own, day flights out to Abu Dhabi on the 31st & rtn from Dubai with BA ( who have also gone down the pan in quality control), & stayed at the Millennium Corniche hotel - very good for 2 nights. The hotel put on a free bus to the Yas mall, where we spent the time looking at Farrari World & a very nice relaxed mall. Embarkation was very good & stress free. We sailed to Muscat on the following day at midday, but we took an excursion to the Mosque in the morning which blew us away. Think Palace not mosque, it was absolutely stunning. Best trip of the whole cruise! However until we reached Dubai in 5 days time, there was little else to see & do. Muscat old town was walkable but it was VERY hot & no breeze. The Souk was old & original & a little claustrophobic. Khasab was a complete waste of time. We didn't bother with any of the trips, nor the $10 rtn shuttle to the town- see previous reviews on this purchase). However we did find a beach hidden to the right of the docks which NO ONE mentioned, so we strolled there & watched the big rollers come in - very nice, however not suitable for swimming due the deep shelving beach & strong currents. So for 5 days we bored to tears, unless you like sunbathing, there was not much to do. I like going to the "Apple" classes on board, but to my horror, Celebrity are now charging $18 + 18% to attend!! Just to learn a few tips on how to use an iPhone?? Dubai was brilliant, we booked on the net before we went, a 3 day incl ticket for £58 each on Big Bus Tours. Did two tours, Green & Blue, incl the boat trip in the Marina & Aquarium at Atlantis ( don't pay extra to go in, not worth it). Wafi Mall, so so, Emerates & Dubai Mall brilliant. Lots to see & do. In the Dubai Mall walk all the way through to the Fountains ( show starts at 6.30pm) & look at the water & the tallest building. The Aquarium wall was fabulous & nice to and & watch. You could stay all day in the Dubai mall & not see it all. There are food courts inside, where you can get reasonable meals/drinks - much better than on the ship! We did not have the drinks package, as neither of us consume huge amounts, but I do like good coffee, but Celebrity are now charging $6.49 a cup in their coffee area. Must be the most expensive coffee I have ever purchased. ( they are 18AED £4 in the malls & very good). FOOD, OMG have standards dropped . I can agree with all previous reviews that the food quality & choice is now abysmal. We gave up eating in the main dining room & reverted to the cafe at night & the steak/chicken/Salmon station at the far end. Also the Pasta station is very good & your dish is made up for you while you wait & it was hot!! Breakfast lunch & dinner, food was cold & VERY uninteresting. I kept thinking I was on Voyage of Discovery or Fred Olsen. We DO like nice food, which is why we cruise, but I though it was awful on this trip. Back to Oceania, who have meals to die for..... Balcony Cabin 7025 was fine, no complaints, but I didn't think to examine the mattress ( it was very comfortable though) Pillow were cheap & hard & much to high. no option to req other pillows as in the past. Our glass pane under the veranda rail was thick with salt when we arrived & still the same when we left, not cleaned once! Also the metal frame holding the glass was so rusted away, a strong gale would soon dislodge it. The wooden rail has seen better days & needed to stripped right back & re varnished. On our last day at 9am the workmen came to do the rails, but via our cabin, just as well we were not in bed! HOWEVER, all they did was to apply a layer of varnish on TOP of all the salt/dust deposits etc. So the handrail later felt like a piece of rough sandpaper. Appalling maintenance. BUT on the morning of departure everyone had to be out of our cabins by 7am!~ I have NEVER ever had to leave my cabin so early. No chance of sleeping in as the Tannoy messages began at 6am, tag no, you can now depart. ( yes we did have the sound turned off in our cabin, but they were VERY loud) . As you can imaging the WHOLE ship had to take breakfast in the cafe ( nowhere else open) so it was like being at Butlins. Absolutely awful, especially as out trf didn't leave until 9.30am. The whole ship had an air of neglect & desperately need refurbishing, Rust in the swimming pools & tiles missing, does not look nice. The entertainment crew were brilliant & shows were very good, But they're were NO enrichment lectures or any info on the area we were visiting. very poor.. ( except for a Captains talk on navigating the ship) Staff seem to be nice but there are not many of them, unless you include, a constant HARASSMENT to buy a speciality meal, take a drinks package or to book a spa treatment! So to sum it up, if you like drinking - take the package, like sunbathing & not bothered about food, then this is the cruise for you. For us, we will stick with Oceania!

Celebrity now a 3* cruise line!

Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by burfies

• Sail Date: January 2017
  • Destination: Middle East
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C

Embarkation was very good & stress free.

Muscat old town was walkable but it was VERY hot & no breeze.

The Souk was old & original & a little claustrophobic.

Khasab was a complete waste of time.

Wafi Mall, so so, Emerates & Dubai Mall brilliant. Lots to see & do.

The Aquarium wall was fabulous & nice to and & watch.

You could stay all day in the Dubai mall & not see it all.

FOOD, OMG have standards dropped .

Back to Oceania, who have meals to die for.....

For us, we will stick with Oceania!
burfies’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C
Cabin 2C 7025
Nice cabin, all fine, very quiet, no traffic outside
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins