Britannia Cruise Review

Xmas and New Year in the Caribbean, Marvellous Cruise !

Britannia Cruise Review by SwadFox

• Sail Date: Dec 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean

It was our first Xmas and New Year away from home and we weren't disappointed. Britannia is a lovely ship, very elegant, modern but bright and spacious with it. It got busier on the second week (for New Year) but still didn't feel overcrowded. Cabin (C633) was an acceptable size and the best size shower we've had on a cruise, balcony was more than adequate to sit out on.

We had Freedom dining for the first time and have to say it worked really well and we enjoyed the flexibility and never had to wait for a table once. Food was good, but not outstanding. Choices were varied and I enjoyed the fish dishes the most. Few complaints but the main one was the description of the dish, for example the dish contained "Mediterranean Olives" (I got half a black olive), the lady next to me didn't get any ! Another was a Deli Meat platter with Capers etc, (it was singular !) . So it seemed to us that cutbacks were pretty much in vogue, but as I say that was only a minor gripe. Ate at one speciality Restaurant, Sindhu and the food quality was noticeably better and we enjoyed a very nice meal in there £20pp surcharge. On Sea days they also do an Indian version of Tapas called Nashta, which was £4.95pp for 3 small dishesfrom a menu of about 10 items, which was also really good.

Entertainment was varied and enjoyable, the NYE deck party was excellent and the band (Pulse) were really good and didn't fall into the usual party band rubbish songs category. They played a host of current stuff, dance tracks and even Highway to Hell ! Only one blot on their copybook for me was they resorted to YMCA (but you have to go to the loo sometime in the evening !). Drinks on board were reasonably priced, but my one gripe was that they didn't do small mixers of Coke, so as I drank Jack Daniels and Coke it made it more expensive at £3.65 for the JD and £2.75 for a bottle of Coke, although it did last for 2 or 3 measures, whereas my wife had Lemonade as a mixer and this was only 50p. Brodies Bar stocked a very good range of Bottled real ales which I was really looking forward too, unfortunately they were served at a sub zero temperature which rendered them tasteless, so I resorted to Draught Peroni which was the only beer I found served at the right temperature. All in all I thought Britannia was a fabulous ship and wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again.

SwadFox's Full Rating Summary

Catamaran Tour

Sunset and Champagne Catamaran Tour was an excellent tour of about 2 hours, free flowing drinks and nibbles on the return. Professional crew, couldn't do enough for you. Great laugh and would thoroughly recommend

View All 119 Catamaran Tour Reviews