3. Viking Star
The date of departure fit our vacation and destination. Viking is still struggling to be an Ocean operator. The crew to passenger ratio seems to be be 1 to 2 or less. Included tours was not worth our time - mainly a bus ride nothing worth $200 per person. No Viking staff were on any excursion which was a disappointment. The shore talks reflected the fact that the staff had not been on many, if any, of the tours. The shore excursion reminded me of Oceania when they were just beginning -- I will give them more time to improve. Their embarkation was the best ever - HANDS DOWN! Our cabin was a suite, but had no butler or other amenities one has come to expect on a Luxury Vessel. I agree the Entertainment was hit or miss, mostly miss, but the Paris Review was great and not to be missed. Service at mealtime was terrible (get rid of those handheld devises) and dining room very noisy. Don't be put off by the line after the the shore talks or other get togethers it goes fast, fast than the rest of the meal. Prepare to spend 2 hours or more for dinner. The wait staff seems to be able to do only one table at a time, the waiter has on assistant and has 20 plus dinners to wait on. They are also the bar staff, pouring the wine and getting water and other drinks, When each course is ready the waiter brings it our, that is really hard for a 10 top! Our cabin staff was very good and experienced. we had some problems with the a/c and they were on top of it! I can't say the same for the maintenance staff. The Hotel Manager was on top of thing and the Customer Service Manage was very helpful and ready to assist whenever needed - she seemed to be everywhere. We did not use the Fitness & Recreation area. The overall experience was different I would say. The layout around the pool and Wintergarden was great, Loungers facing out to sea and a very cool area for reading and relaxing. Wonderful areas to play games and talk to fellow passengers. The Explorers Lounge is the most under used area on the ship. Continental type breakfast is served as well as a lite lunch. The 270 degree view will wow the most experienced cruisers. I am not use what they are asking for. The ship does not have many public room but rather long hallways with game tables, chairs and tables and easy chairs and sofas. The value for the money I said was average. I was expecting a luxury cruise and got an up scaled river cruise.

The Viking Star does not reach the status of a luxury cruise line.

Viking Star Cruise Review by runnink

The date of departure fit our vacation and destination.

Their embarkation was the best ever - HANDS DOWN!

We did not use the Fitness & Recreation area.

runnink’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

The cabin was nice, the layout was unusual but very comfortable. The closet/dressing room/bathroom was one of the largest we have ever had. The location, on the 3rd deck bow was OK, only noisy when entering a port. Hard to sleep late but we managed. My recommendation is go for this cabin or cabin type.