Norwegian Jade Cruise Review

Expected better!

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by mchess1

• Sail Date: Dec 2016
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

3rd holiday cruise and 1st time on NCL. Not impressed! After booking, we were moved from agent to agent and never really received a solid answer on anything. Upon booking we asked about watching college bowl games since there was not a sports bar. They told me that there was an area to watch the games, as we were traveling with 4 college aged kids and we are all football fans. When it was time for the games, I inquired about where to go to watch and I was informed that NCL has lost the ESPN contract and we could no longer watch ANY of the college games. This was a huge problem for us and is ridiculous!

Getting on in Tampa was miserable, long and unorganized. Once on the ship, everything is closed down quickly due to "safety procedures". I understand that the safety procedures are mandatory but ALL services are cut off.

The cabins on the Jade are small and don't have enough closet space for a 8 day cruise. The service was great in the cabins except that they never replaced our pool towels when used but easily received once asked.

When dining, every night I asked for a party of 10, they asked if I had a reservation and when I asked if I could make a reservation they said "NO". Confusing and nobody really had an answer for me. FYI, specialty dining at steakhouse (Cagney's) was amazing and reasonably priced. Food in the general dining rooms was pretty good and they offered a good variety, but the service not great.

POSITIVE thing was our excursion in Honduras. Snorkeling and kayaking with lunch included at the Cannibal Cafe. Great group of people! Choices of excursions was not great at all, being used to CARNIVAL who have so many excursion opportunities.

My college age kids were less than impressed with the activities on the ship, especially since they were unable to watch football.

Lastly, on the last night of the cruise we were informed that the ship was returning to Tampa early and that the casino would close at 9:00 pm. Ridiculous! Not only could we not participate in the casino but was rushed to cash out our tickets. After trying to use the machine, it would not give me my money (noting it NEVER worked the entire cruise). It was only $21.30 but it is the principal. When I inquired about getting my money, they informed me that they cannot refund my money and I will have to try to cash it in on my next NCL cruise. Well....I will not be getting that money back because I will NOT go on another NCL cruise! Too many negatives and not enough positives.

mchess1's Full Rating Summary

Nachi Cocom Beach Club

We have been here before and loved it. This trip the service was not as good as the first time but that would not stop me from going back. Lovely beach, great food, and cold drinks.

View All 117 Nachi Cocom Beach Club Reviews
Harvest Caye

I would have liked it if they had told us that this was NCL private island prior to booking an excursion. May have stayed at the beach.

Tampa

Did not take an excursion in the main port. The embarkation was a mess though. It took forever and they were extremely disorganized.

Zip-lining

Went to the ziplining/adventure park. It was very commercialized and upon arrival there were no chairs left as people had put their towels on them to save the seat and never came back. As it got further into the afternoon, it was too crowded and the lines were too long so we left early. Also, the shopping on the island was overpriced.

View All 32 Zip-lining Reviews
Snorkeling

LOVED this excursion. The Cannibal cafe was amazing! The guides were fantastic and we would do this again for sure. West Bay kayak and snorkeling! Highly recommend it!

View All 345 Snorkeling Reviews