3. Carnival Breeze
The port is extremely far from the airport in Houston. Transfers are expensive both through Carnival and independently. Embarkation took longer than normal and you had to walk further than necessary as they would make you walk up and down empty queue lines when there wasn't much queue instead of changing the retractable 'ropes' so you could bypass the extra lanes. Then they individually opened, emptied and inspected every case of soda brought on board before putting it back together as best as possible so you could try and carry it aboard. The terminal was depressing. The cabin seemed smaller than on the older Carnival ships and the décor was a hodge-podge of different colour schemes (I think bits had been swapped out and replaced with bits left over from other ships or kept as replacements from previous refurbishments) It didn't give a good overall impression. I never met our cabin steward and still don't know what he looks like or what his name was. This is the first cruise in 24 that this has happened. Overall we weren't impressed with the ship at all although we had both had high hopes before embarkation. There are only two small pools for all the passengers. This is not enough. The children's water area and the play/sports areas seems to have removed a lot of the space that would previously have housed another pool. Also, the pool midship has no hot tubs around it and is uncomfortable to sit near due to the constant bombardment of ads for Carnival on the big screen. The hot tubs on the sides of the promenade deck and in the Serenity area were not hot enough (not just my opinion but also that of the other people I met in there). There are no pools or hot tubs under cover or inside. Neither of the pools was heated. The shops were dismal. The casino is huge and full of cigarette smoke if that is your thing (not mine) - unfortunately, due to the lousy design of the ship you were often forced to walk through it to get to the other end of the ship. I found this bothersome. The showroom was OK as was the room used for the Comedy Club. Food was amongst the worst I have had on a ship in ages. The burgers were OK but I wouldn't say they were anything special. Most of the buffet was pretty awful. The only saving grace was the Tandoor at the rear of the ship which was consistently good. The flavours in the self serve ice cream and yoghurt machines never changed the entire week. Chocolate and vanilla only for ice cream. I wanted to try strawberry but it was only available in the yoghurt (which I can't eat). The experience in the Main Dining Room was awful. We were on any time dining. What a joke. Firstly, you could only get a table if you were there before or as soon as it opened otherwise, you were given a pager and sent away for 20-30 minutes or more. Alternatively you could give up and come back at about 8pm (or later) or go to the buffet that had only a small section open with only a limited choice of meals. They never offered to seat you with others so we spent the entire cruise seated by ourselves. Even the night I went on my own (as my partner was feeling too tired) I was put at a table for two on my own. On other ships they will ask if you want to sit with others and they match you up so you can enjoy other people's company during your meal if you want it. This is a good way to meet other people and can make your trip more enjoyable. The food in the MDR was average at best. Even the lobster was the size of a large prawn/shrimp and tasted horrible. I don't know where they got it from. They left the best til last though as on the last evening we had a late dinner (couldn't get in earlier) and I ordered the Caprese Salad which gave me Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning. I was vomiting and had diarrhea the whole of the night and most of the next day (even vomited at Houston Airport at check in and almost wasn't allowed to get on the flight to go home - awesome!) The entertainment was average. The comedian we saw was actually not too bad. The production shows were poor to average and one was hopeless as for some reason which they didn't really explain they 4 main singers sat on stools and just sang the songs. There was no dancing, no props, no anything. Just them and four stools. The worst thing is they didn't announce the change until they were about to start so you couldn't even leave without disturbing the other guests around you so we got stuck there. The activities were pretty much non-existent except for trivia. No cooking classes, no computer classes, no photography classes, no arts and crafts, etc. If they did have anything it was an excuse to plug spa and gym services. Service was as far as I am concerned non-existent. Never saw the cabin attendants. I think I was asked if I wanted a drink once the entire week. The few times I saw any of the officers they didn't even acknowledge us when usually they nod, smile and say some pleasantries. Even getting on and off the ship there was no acknowledgement. The one shore excursion (snorkeling at Rendezvous Caye in Belize) we did through the ship was awful. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was the worst snorkeling experience of my life. Cozumel we enjoyed as we went snorkeling on our own and Roatan we loved as we went to West Bay on our own in a taxi and had a great time in the water seeing the giant parrot fish. I would never sail from Galveston again nor would I ever sail on the Breeze again. This would probably be the third worst cruise I have been on (out of 24)

All Around Disappointing

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by worldtravella

worldtravella’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8A 6242
Smaller than others but OK. You can be seen on the balcony by the bridge and people on the promenade deck directly below. I prefer balconies on other ships where you can look directly down over the sea.
Deck 6 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Snorkeling
    This is for the snorkelling at Rendezvous Caye direct from the ship.
    Bad equipment - flippers cause 4 bleeding blisters in 1 hour, first mask leaked constantly, second one fogged up all the time.
    Snorkelling groups too big (about 20 people in each level) and unless you were right next to the leader you saw and heard nothing and got kicked in the head by other people's flippers.
    Instead of snorkelling at a leisurely pace so you could see things it was like a one hour swimming race. Instead of snorkelling over the coral closer to shore you snorkelled just over the ledge/drop into the sea where there was hardly anything to see. After rushing into water and snorkelling as fast as possible equipment is collected and you are stuck on the island for about 45mins to an hour with nothing to do except buy their food and drinks.
    Worst snorkelling experience of my life. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    View All 178 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Cozumel
    Caught a taxi to the Money Bar resort and snorkelled. Fun and fairly inexpensive.
    View All 6,798 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Galveston
    Too far. Expensive transfers from Houston no matter who or what you use. Oil rigs everywhere.
    View All 671 Galveston Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Galveston Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    Caught a taxi to West Bay beach and snorkelled. Taxi trip takes about 45min each way and our driver took us there on one road and back on another so we got to see quite a bit of the island too. He even stopped at a look out so we could take some photos. While snorkelling saw some gigantic parrot fish - by far the biggest I have ever seen (about 1m long)
    View All 2,890 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews