3. Carnival Vista
We had a wonderful vacation on the 11 Journey cruise from NYC to Miami over Thanksgiving. It was just myself (43 year old mom) and three sons (15, 13 and 10 yr). This was our third Carnival family vacation, but I have sailed on a dozen cruises on multiple lines. We had an Ocean Suite and it worked for us. The room had plenty of storage and was well arranged to make the most of the space. The bathroom was also very spacious. We didn't hear any noise (room 7353) and this was a great location. We never used the elevators. I only wish the room would have been a little cooler. I got hot a lot while sleeping and it couldn't be turned down and further. We had early dining and I thought food was very good. Not every meal was a hit, but certainly not bad and some things we excellent. We had excellent waiters and servers who worked very hard. Drink service was slow so I usually grabbed a drink before coming in the dining room. The Steakhouse was amazing!!! Food was outstanding. I was a little disappointed in the service. I had to ask for a second glass of wine (not on Cheers program) and for water to be refilled. Other than that, it was the best meal of the trip. We ate lunch at the Italian restaurant. It was good. We liked Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana. Lido deck was good for breakfast and lunch. I was surprised at how easy it was to find seats and how there weren't a lot of lines. Pizza had the longest lines so I only got it once. It isn't my favorite. We enjoyed room service a few times for snacks and lunch. The new Pig and Anchor was also good. There are so many places to eat that even in 11 days we didn't get to try them all. The salads in the serenity area were wonderful but the line is very slow. I would have had that more often if it didn't take so much time. Variety of options was outstanding! Yes the two main show lounges were horribly designed with moving chairs and obstructed views. Hopefully this will eventually be corrected or at the very least not repeated on any future ships. We didn't try the Imax or the Thrill theater. We loved the Skyride and Ropes courses. So much fun! We never had trouble finding chairs around the pool. Sometimes we had to go up a few levels but I preferred that anyway. The sports zone was awesome. Best mini golf on any of the ships I have been on and we enjoyed playing shuffle board, ping pong and the other games. Nicely done! The areas to sit outside were more then plentiful. Something for everyone. Casino. I didn't spend any time here. Too smoky to make it enjoyable so I spent my money elsewhere. I was surprised at how much I loved the Atrium. I didn't think I would like the LCD centerpiece but it was really cool. They could use some better shops. These were basic and boring. The live music was also amazing in the Atrium. They had a violinist playing popular music. Even my kids wanted to stop and hear them play night after night. And they had real steel drums at the pool. Yay!!! Keep that up. Shows I thought were a little lacking. The one production of Flick was amazing but didn't really care to see a lot of the others. The comedians were good. I don't mind rated R shows but it did seem like a lot of the humor was not very funny compared to my past Carnival trips. The outside movies were great. I found the crew to be very friendly and had no complaints on the service. I did hear some passengers complaining about the most ridiculous stuff. I think the reason why most ships don't get higher marks is because there are a lot of experienced cruisers on these ships. I heard conversations like "I like the booths in the dining room on such a such ship better" and I liked the décor better on "such and such" etc. They have so much experience that they will always have had a better experience somewhere else but not all the best experience on any one ship. Just my opinion. Many repeat cruisers on this ship and it had only launched 6 months ago! My kids were in each of the different age kid centers and loved it. They didn't always stay in the center, but would meet up with kids and then go play in the arcade or get food etc. Try to encourage your kids to visit it on the first day so they can make friends. My kids only want to cruise now because they get to meet people as opposed to going to a resort and being stuck with mom at night. :) I did not do the cheers program and think it was the right call for me. I did really enjoy the Alchemy bar. It was so fun to sit there and watch them make drinks and light things on fire. You could just give them a suggestion and they would make something up for you. I would say I want something light and not very fruity. Voila, a drink would be concocted. I did learn to bring a drink into the comedy shows because bar service was spotty. They only had 2 waiters working and depending upon where you were in the lounge they may not have gotten over to you. Grand Turk - We enjoyed Jack's Shack and Margaritaville. Bonaire - We loved the SeaCow excursion. We had all snorkeled before but we really enjoyed this trip. Aruba - I booked Jolly Pirate on my own and the kids and I had a blast! Snorkeling was only so but my kids loved the rope swing. St. Martin - We were here on Thanksgiving with 7 ships. I booked Robinson Boat Tours and we had a 6 hour 14 person speedboat that took us to both sides of the island including lunch, snorkeling stops and Moho Beach. It was the best excursion we have EVER taken. Highly recommend and they were great when Carnival changed our itinerary two days before and then changed it back the day before our sailing. Dismemberment was a breeze. We had the best vacation. Yes there are things we could find to complain about but why bother. We were on vacation. Great memories made!

We had an amazing vaction on an amazing ship!

Carnival Vista Cruise Review by May20PA

The areas to sit outside were more then plentiful. Something for everyone.

Grand Turk - We enjoyed Jack's Shack and Margaritaville.

May20PA’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Carnival Vista price drops

Ocean Suite
Cabin OS 7353
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Aruba
    My kids also did an excursion at Moomba Beach where they were pulled on a sofa raft behind a boat. They loved it. I couldn't wait for it to be over.
    View All 13,003 Aruba Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Aruba Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    We booked on our own the Jolly Pirate. This also included snorkeling which was OK. Not a lot of instruction so probably not the best for first timers. My kids loved the rope swing. This was more of a party excursion than a serious snorkeling trip.

Moomba beach was also very cool to hang out at. Lunch in the restaurant was good.
    View All 163 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    The SeaCow was amazing. We had snorkeled before but they were top notch with instructions and equipment. We saw Sea Turtles and lots of other beautiful sea creatures. They provided a wealth of information. This is a real snorkeling trip and not a booze cruise.

We also went over to Le Lac Bay in the morning. Unfortunately it was raining and there weren't many windsurfers out. We did walk way out in the bay and jumped off the floating dock. It was a beautiful location. Wish the weather had been better and that we could have spent more time there.
    View All 146 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Grand Turk
    We had snorkeled here in the past so this time we enjoyed the beach, went to Jack's shack and Margaritaville and walked around the shops. Such a beautiful location!
    View All 2,107 Grand Turk Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Turk Cruise Port Review
  • New York (Manhattan)
    Even with having Priority embankment, this was very disorganized.
    View All 1,012 New York (Manhattan) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's New York (Manhattan) Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    Best excursion EVER!!! It was Thanksgiving and there were over 20K cruiseship passengers in St. Maarten. We escaped them all in a 14 person speedboat that took us all over the island in 6 hours with multiple stops for snorkeling and beach time plus lunch in an exclusive location. My kids and I loved it. We had a stop at Maho Beach too. My only complaint is that we only got to see one plane land. I wish we had more time there. It was the best excursion we have ever done. Loved it!
    View All 13,003 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews