Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Floridalynn
- Sail Date: January 2017
- Destination: Western Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Mini-Suite with Balcony
1. Chose a 5 Day Cruise out of Tampa Port. Unable to leave port at scheduled time due to fog (not Norwegian's fault---). Initially, Jade staff communicated there would be a delay. At 9:58pm the US Coast Guard gave the Jade clearance to leave. The Jade had already cancelled port arrival in Key West to save money and we did not leave port until 11:15pm. Skipped Key West completely and spent two days in Cozumel---Never told .passengers that we were not going to Key West until next morning (after scheduled arrival).
2. Came back to Tampa 12 hours early---for maintenance. This maintenance was planned. Coming back early was planned to help prepare for their ship upgrade in March. Norwegian never told passengers this was going to occur. Staff said it was a corporate decision. We got to sit in port and overlook Tampa for our last night at sea.
3. Maintenance on Pool Deck: When we arrived on board, there was a Dumpster on the main deck with yellow 'caution tape' surrounding it. It was tacky and everyone wondered why there would be a dumpster. On Day 2 of cruise we found out---Norwegian closed one of the two pools, closed the slide, and roped off half the main pool deck to start tearing down the slide. Maintenance was planned by corporate PRIOR to our cruise. Loud Hammering and Drill noises for 3 full days!!! Half dozen workers in construction mode. No one ever told us that the boat would be under maintenance during the cruise. It was 85 degrees out and miserable to sit by second pool with the construction noise.
4. Multiple other lesser issues (TV did not work, had to pay additional drink taxes while in port on boat even though we had pre paid and were suppose to be at sea, casino closed early due to early return, was refused access to a phone to call into a meeting that was suppose to occur during our Key West time)
Bottom Line: Would I have chosen to pay more than $2000 for a cruise for two if I knew my mini suite balcony would be looking at Tampa for two nights and Mexico port another night? Only go to one port during cruise? Come back a night early and sit in the Tampa port? Have 3 days of hammering/drilling on the pool deck---with yellow caution tape everyone and only half the deck available to use (so therefore everyone had to cram in). No, I would not have chosen to go. Norwegian obviously knows this so did not communicate the changes/updates to the itineraries. They knew most of this prior to us leaving. No compensation! No Communication! No option to change to another cruise. So many people were complaining---they were told that they could reduce their service fee tip . . . . that is horrible since their staff were fabulous and not in control of the issues. Norwegian Corporate could and should do better. I probably will not choose to cruise on Norwegian in the future due to poor communication.
250,000+ people have entered their email