3. Liberty of the Seas
Wow! Just returned from 6 days on Liberty of the Seas! My wife, 4 adult children and I had a great time and look forward to sailing on RCI again. Embarking went pretty well. We arrived by automobile about 9:45am, dropped off the luggage and family. The regular port parking was full, so I went to “Indoor Cruise Parking” and paid about the same price. I found the lot to be nice and felt it was safer than the normal lot, so I will use again. Check in went well and we were on board by 11. The first thing that struck me about the Liberty was how beautiful the Royal Promenade and how well decorated the ship. Every aspect of the ship was well done and was spotless. Some of us ate lunch at Sorrento’s. The Pizza was OK. The seating was nice as they feel like a Pizza place should. Later we met my kids at the Windjammer. I was surprised that we were able to find a table without issue, even on boarding day. Based on some of the other reviews, I was concerned about the food. Every venue I tried (main dining room, Windjammer, Sorrento’s) were consistently good, but not great. Variety was decent and the quantity was appropriate. Food was much better than we had on Carnival Triumph last year. Entertainment was also good. However, we had rough weather on our last day and they had to cancel the Saturday Night Fever show after a performer was injured during practice. I hope it wasn’t serious, but an ambulance met the ship in Galveston for reasons that were never explained. We all wish a speedy recovery for whoever left by ambulance. Our ports included Costa Maya, Belize City and Cozumel. Please see below for my comments about each of them. Galveston There are lots of negative reviews about Galveston. While it will never be Seattle, most of them are unwarranted. Galveston is a common day trip from Houston and actually has something for everyone. The port itself looks quite industrial and somewhat dangerous. I understand that. What a lot of people miss is that the Strand district is just one block east of the port. This is an old historic district with tourist shops, bars, restaurants and a large railroad museum. Other points of interest on Galveston include: Seawolf Park with a WWII sub and destroyer escort both open to the public, Offshore oil museum, Lone Star Flight Museum, numerous mansions, The Ellissa tall ship, Schlitterbahn water park, beach (Ok, maybe you should skip the beach!) and dozens of restaurants and hotels. Costa Maya This was our first time in Costa Maya. We took the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins and had a great time. Compared to Chichen Itza, these were smaller, but much less crowded and much more accessible. Our guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The trip was exactly what we expected and wanted. Costa Maya itself appears fairly new and very tourist centered. Since the tour took several hours, I really didn’t have much time to explore, but it looked interesting. Belize City Belize City is a tendered port. Most people don’t like tendering as it takes longer than pulling up to a wharf. Personally, I prefer it. Getting on the tender means that I get a boat ride on a small boat and feel like I’m getting a free tour. I guess it is all in your attitude. Anyway, Belize City is very shallow, so you can count on a tender to shore. We really liked Belize and I’m going to go back someday. The town had a relaxed, fun Caribbean feel, but everyone speaks English. We took the Jaguar Paw Cave tubing & Jungle Trek with Lunch excursion. It was great. Elio, our guide, went out of his way to be sure everyone had a good time. He was tremendously knowledgeable about the river, cave and jungle. He found many plants and animals that we would have missed in total ignorance. Lunch was chicken, rice and beans. Yum! On the way back, Shana, another guide, shared what must be the local drink. It came in a small juice bottle and was rum and pineapple juice. I found a shop on a nearby pier that had it and so I bought two for gifts. It was called “Panti Rippa.” Based on the alcohol content, it was a very appropriate name! Cozumel I’ve been here twice before and find it way too commercialized for my taste. It’s the same stores as any cruise port but repeated over and over again for miles. We stayed on the ship.

Best cruise I've ever been on!

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by steverk

Check in went well and we were on board by 11.

Galveston

Costa Maya

Belize City

Anyway, Belize City is very shallow, so you can count on a tender to shore.

Cozumel

steverk’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas price drops

What can you say about an interior stateroom? My travel agent suggested that it would be quiet and it was. In fact, I never heard anything from outside.

It was clean and pretty well decorated and appointed.

That said, you choose an interior stateroom for price, not size experience. It was small and had no natural light. We expected this and were pleased. However, I overheard one passenger complain that they could not fit in the shower. So, if you are large or heavy, then you might want a larger cabin.
  Liberty of the Seas Deck Plans

• Cave-Tubing

Anyway, Belize City is very shallow, so you can count on a tender to shore.

On the way back, Shana shared what must be the local drink. It came in a small juice bottle and was rum and pineapple juice. I found a shop on a nearby pier that had it and so I bought two for gifts. It was called “Panti Rippa.” Based on the alcohol content, it was a very appropriate name!
    View All 342 Cave-Tubing Reviews