Allure of the Seas Cruise Review

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by davidjeffrey08

• Sail Date: Sep 2015
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Stateroom

This was my second cruise. The first cruise was on the Navigator of the Seas. No comparison - Navigator is such a classy ship in comparison, and the experience on Navigator of the Seas wins over Allure of the Seas hands down.

The ship is big all right, but lacks the luster and grandiosity of smaller ships like the Navigator. Staff (with a few exceptions) were not rude, but not outgoing, and seemed to have serious lack of supervision. On the pool deck, I observed several attendants walking around with a towel that was supposed to be used for wiping tables. That's all they did. Walk around hanging onto a towel. Didn't straighten up chairs, didn't wipe tables. I'm a smoker, and had to repeatedly ask to have the ash trays emptied.

The food was another shocker. A cheese platter arrived with saltine crackers with marginal cheese selection and presentation the first night, I decided to try it again the last night, and it appeared that someone had hacked off a chunk of cheddar cheese and slapped it on the plate. Really? They had upgraded from saltines to Ritz or a slightly better type of cracker. Again, no presentation....just cheese and crackers slapped on a plate. The menu options on a nightly basis were ok, and the food was adequate, but not impressive in the least. We were on My Time Dining, and of course had a different set of waiters each night. One night was next to a large group with screaming kids, another night was somewhere that the temperature was way too hot. Food in the Windjammer was just adequate. The lines on the morning of most of our excursions was insane. They were so long that we had to go to the dining room where there were a few things offered.

I mentioned below in the cabin review that there was a stain on the couch in our room, and the towels were scrunched and wrinkled like they had been stuffed in a tiny dryer. The room attendant was pleasant enough, but constantly on her cell phone.

Embarking and disembarking at the beginning and end of the cruise, and for excursions was taken care of very well and went smoothly.

Entertainment was enjoyable. Mama Mia was well presented and probably my favorite.

I will travel again on Royal Caribbean, but not on one of these larger ship classes.

davidjeffrey08's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Stateroom

Big disappointment. The room attendant was pleasant enough, but was on her cell phone constantly. The towels were crunched and wrinkled like they had been stuffed in a tiny dryer. There was a stain on the couch. I was shocked at the quality.

Barcelona

I loved Barcelona! Arrived on Friday morning and toured the city Friday and Saturday before boarding the ship on Sunday.

Avignon Walking Tour

Loved the excursion and sites, including the second papacy. Had time to browse street vendors, and purchased a piece of artwork.

View All 41 Avignon Walking Tour Reviews
Cinque Terre

Oh my gosh! Our poor guide did the best she could. Too windy to take small boats to Cinque Terre, so we had to pack ourselves on commuter trains with hundreds of other cruisers. The small towns we visited were very neat, but horribly crowded with tourists which made it difficult to do more than walk around

View All 99 Cinque Terre Reviews
Capri Walking Tour

Spent the day exploring Capri on our own. Oh my, I didn't know how out of shape I was until I tried walking up and up and up the streets. Should have taken public transportation. Beautiful place and very enjoyable.

View All 57 Capri Walking Tour Reviews