3. Oasis of the Seas
Our children and grand kids liked to celebrated Christmas together in a cruise. So we choose Oasis of the Seas because it offers many features on board. We paid more than 4000 dollars for 8 nights including air flights and airport transfer. The cruise fare was more than 400 dollars per night per person, a luxury pricing. We found out late that we had to wait for more than 4 hours at the airport for the first transfer to the ship on 10:30 am. On our return, we had to sign up for an excursion to the Kennedy Space Center during daytime to connect to an evening flight. They allowed us to cancel our airport transfer and the day-time excursion sent us to the airport afterwards. It taught us not to trust them for appropriate arrangements even with a package deal including the cruise, the air flights and the airport transfer. The Oasis of the Seas took in 6500 passengers. The check in was efficient for this large number of people but inevitably long. Ours was one and half hours but our friends spent 2 and half hours and were furious. Our luggage were mis-placed and we found them ourselves. My wife's luggage was damaged and they gave 50 dollars credit only. There were no particular celebration on either December 24 or 25. We were told of a Christmas lunch on Labadee, Haiti. This is a resort developed by Royal Caribbean. We can charge even with our ship card. It turned out to be just an ordinary BBQ. On the ship, you had to pay dearly for water, wine and specialty restaurants. 4 bottles of Evian costed 14 dollars. What is worse, the water from the faucet was not drinkable as advised by the front desk. That was confusing because the ship was equipped with water fountains in the fitness center and the running track. Both were posted with the signs asking us not to drink from the fountain. Still in the dining rooms, we were served with regular ice water. Apparently, they had portable water on the ship but they only provided for their dining rooms but not to us. We went one evening to 150 Central Park. This specialty restaurant charged us 45 dollars for a 3 course meal. This was considered over-priced since we already paid more than 400 dollars per person per day for room and board. There were no laundry room nor iron boards on the ship. Another avenue for them to get money from you. Their shows were very good. We like " Frozen in time" in particular. They also showcase Cats in a full-length production. Their staff were generally well-trained in the restaurants and guest services. Still, the pressure of making revenue was everywhere. We were at a wine-tasting event. At the end of tasting, they offered bottles of wines at deep discount for us to take back. My friend was ready to pay 50 dollars for two bottles. When he was ready to sign the pay slip, he found a charge of 18% gratuity in addition. I showed them my pay slip which did not post the 18% gratuity. My friend ended up not buying. Afterwards, I found in the review of my account that they added the 18% gratuity. They credited me back on that gratuity after my complaints. That wine clerk should be fired as this was cheating clearly. I enjoyed the cruise of the Oasis of the Seas. The charge of more than 400 dollars per person per night was way too expensive even during the peak holiday season. It really should be priced around 150 dollars per person per night.

Luxury Christmas price with cheap treatment and minimal festive celebration

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by dtclee