Regal Princess Cruise Review

Regal Princess Cruise Review by Sea rat

• Sail Date: Dec 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Balcony

I will try to stick to the facts and be objective. We chose this cruise because of the dates, price and stops. It was 11 night cruise with 6 stops over Christmas.

This is not a family oriented cruise ship, with practically no pool activities/pool music or evening entertainment for younger people. If they had music it was from 40s or 50s - even 'too old' for the grandma (71 yo) we had with us. In fact she was very upset with us that we brought her to this 'nursing home' with too many very old people. The walkers, scooters, oxygen masks are everywhere and I stubbed my toes many times... Most of the 8 pm shows were for very old people as well. And you need to be in the theatre at 7:20 to get seats for these prehistoric shows.

They had very funny magician and acrobats (not in the theatre thank god!)

Some old people were very nice but some were nasty.

Club 6 was terrible, was always empty and nobody was dancing (thanks to terrible DJ Shea!). Most of the people were there for discounted drinks at 11 pm. And nowhere else to go after 10 pm when kids are finally asleep...

We had 4 days at sea and the sprinklers/fountains at the center of the pool area didn't work even once (they only turned them on at 9-11 am on port days when we were away at the beach! How stupid! There were plenty of sunbathing areas around so they didn't need to convert it to more sunbathing footage)! And no any shallow pool area anywhere (all are over 4 feet deep), so I had to go in that stinky pool with my kids all the time! The pictures looked very deceiving on their website - looked like plenty of water activities there. I would not recommend this ship for anybody with kids under 5-6 yo who cannot swim well.

Our kids (age 3.5, 5 and 6.5 yo) liked Pelican club. We all liked Christmas party at the plaza.

Adult pool looked nice but if you have kids it is very unlikely you would have a chance to go there...

Photography was pretty good on the ship.

Deluxe balcony (we had 2 on the Marina deck, great location) that were listed as 255 sq ft (I have serious doubts about this number!) were very narrow and small, almost claustrophobic. Shower curtain was always stinky (like old wet mop).

We ate at the restaurant (Concerto) every night, it was edible only 50% of the time, which was very surprising for such a limited selection.

The morning buffet was very disorganized and chaotic (it literally takes you 1 week to learn where the stuff is and you keep going around and around...). Most of the time we could not find a table. The food was mediocre at best, some not edible (like their custom made omelet - you can seriously puke if you try it!) I missed Windjammer every morning :) and swore not to say anything bad about it next time I am in there :))

The ship's interior would not wow you (like all the new RC ships). The only pretty area is a 3-story plaza in the middle. Our kids were looking forward to ride panoramic elevators but they really don't exist :( The bizarre part that they are on the map but they are fully covered!

The common areas are well made though and looked like quality materials were used.

The ship is very shaky. In fact I always commented on other 4 cruise lines we used before (both big and small ships) that you practically don't feel any movement. This one was very opposite, especially when it was going long distance from FL to St Thomas and Aruba to FL, it was hard to walk at night (or sleep for that matter due to movement side to side and a lot of banging noise the cabin was making).

We bought 2 'water' excursions - one was 40 min late, the other one was not exactly as described. There were not many choices that you could do with the kids so we just went to the beach on the other 4 islands.

I hope it helps. Thanks

Sea rat's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Balcony
Cabin DF M202

Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

A lot of traffic going from airport to port - took long time for 6 miles drive and about $40 for taxi.

Aruba

Very windy, too much waves on the western shore for the kids.

Sea rat