3. Grandeur of the Seas
Even though we were on the roll call, we never received info about the Cruise Critic mix and mingle. Just sayin'. We chose this cruise because it sails out of Baltimore, I got a flash sale price and we live in DC. What's not to like? I recommend exploring Baltimore to those unfamiliar with it. On and Off: Embarkation was the slowest I have experienced. It was hard to tell why it was so slow. Disembarkation went very smoothly because of the orderly process RCL uses. Ship: It is a smaller ship and that is what we like. It was easy to get around with pretty public areas (though the library could use some large tables for jigsaw puzzles). The 5th deck prom went all the way around. There was an additional prom on deck 10. Cabin: We had an inside guaranteed. It was VERY small. The first cabin was 2541 and I do not recommend it. Some sort of functional ship's room was below and it produced a lot of loud, though intermittent, noise. After three nights we swapped for a room next to the elevator which -- believe it or not -- was a great improvement. Dining: We ate most meals in The Great Gatsby main dining room. The food was quite good as was the service for "my time" dining. We chose "my time" because we like to eat with different people every night. That did not jive with their practice of trying to put us with the same waiter every night because that narrowed the people with whom we might be seated.. When we saw ourselves being marched towards a table for four with the very people we had eaten with the previous two nights we called a halt to the march and explained our interest in meeting different people. We never had this problem with open dining on Holland America or Norwegian. Because I am onion intolerant, the Windjammer did not work for me. Too much of that food had onions in it -- even at breakfast! Entertainment and Activities: There is too much reliance on trivial pursuit and silly games by the pool during days at sea. The "enrichment" program consisted of seminars that were really tools for marketing spa services, shopping seminars and port of call info given by a woman who was clearly on her maiden voyage for doing this kind of work. Thank goodness for the Solarium which is kid and cruise activity leader free. The Solarium has two hot tubs, lots of lounge chairs, a glass roof that can be open during warm weather, a small cafe and -- best of all -- a small, heated salt water pool (though for two days the pool boy insisted there was no way to heat the water -- passenger persistence prevailed). Except for three nights, entertainment in the theater was one male stand-up comic after another each with his own special twist and the usual jokes about wives, being old and forcing some audience members into the act. The Rosario Strings in the Centrum were quite good as was the Grandeur of the Seas Orchestra which played big band music. The singers and dancers did two nice variety shows--one much better than the other. There were no aerial shows in the Centrum. Even though we were told there were only 90 kids on board, the movies were definitely kiddie movies. Compare that with Holland which shows Oscar nominees aimed at an adult audience. Just sayin'. Days at sea could be improved with quality movies in the theatre. TV consisted of CNN, TCM, Big Bang Theory in several languages and what might have been Two Broke Girls (they wear yellow/maroon waitress uniforms) and, of course, kiddie channels. Service: Our stateroom attendant was extremely cheerful and did a great job -- he even made a birthday cake out of towels for my husband. One of the customer service staff was very helpful in solving the problem of moving us to a room without a lot of noise. The two waiters who took care of us most of the time were an excellent team. Ports and Shore Excursions: We enjoyed all of the ports. We like DIY shore trips so we cannot speak about the shore excursions. We are not shoppers but noticed that the same stores are in all of the ports. Children: We did not have kids with us but we noticed there is a day care center and a teen activity room. Would we go again?: Yes if we can get a good flash sale price again. Now that I know I should plan on spending time in the Solarium and reading on one of the prom decks, I will do OK with the days at sea.

Very Convenient from DC

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Magda1635

Magda1635’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Cabin 2541 & 4035
There were 13 drawers and about 6' of closet rod -- plenty of storage. Lighting around the mirrors was excellent. Both rooms were extremely small with very little space around the bed as well as between the bed and the desk/TV unit. The shower was also extremely tight. The first room was so noisy I could not sleep. The second room, even though next to an elevator, was a great improvement over 2541. We could not fit our luggage (one normal and one carry on) under the bed. There was a safe.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans