3. Magellan
We considered travelling to Alaska to see the Aurora but the Magellan Northern Lights cruise offered a much cheaper alternative. To be honest looking at previous reviews I knew this would not be a luxury trip and I do not like cruises. I dislike all the extra hidden expense and being stuck with old people that only talk about their last cruise whilst eating themselves to death. I dislike seeing 20 stone people in their 40s and 50s with walking sticks struggling to get into lifts when they are young enough to use the stairs. This is humanity at its worst and typical of the type 2 diabetes epidemic in the west. That said we saw the Aurora and it was all worth the sleepless nights of listening to rumbling engines and noisy ventilation. My wife congratulated me for not snoring the entire trip when in fact she had little chance of hearing me over the din of the creaks and various other odd sounds this ship subjects you too not to mention your neighbours conversations because of the lack of soundproofing. We bought an expensive wine package but none of the crew understood how it worked and getting our pre paid wine was a chore. We opted to remove all tips as a result....£130 and tipped a few good crew. You get what you pay for and if you like departing and arriving in a aircraft hanger that leaks and with no direction from anyone then good luck. Tip - take as much alcohol in you baggage as you want and save £hundreds as no one checks. We took on an entire cocktail cabinet and a flask for hot coffee in the morning as there are no tea making facilities (well not unless you have a suite). It was I admit value for money with nice food. Do it once, and sleep for a week to recover is my motto if you want to see the Northern Lights, however I can see no other reason for travelling on this ship........round the world? my god! no way if you paid me.

We experienced the northern lights.

Magellan Cruise Review by Rachel23334