3. River Beatrice
I wanted to go to the Xmas markets on a riverboat cruise because I had heard such wonderful things about them, but didn't know there were so many choices. After investigating we chose Uniworld because my travel agent told me it was all inclusive and top of the line riverboat cruise company and we weren't disappointed. We had been on numerous regular cruise lines but wanted something different and were tired of being nickel and dimed to death. This was the way to go. Everything was paid for ahead of time - cruise, air fare, tips, port charges, taxes, excursions, tour guides, even our 2 hour taxi ride to the airport to take our return flight home. And their all inclusive is just that, top of the line everything. Don't expect what you've had on the big cruise ships because it isn't. It's very laid back, ship is small but very adequate and the room is small but very elegant, clean and the bathroom is bigger than on a regular cruise ship. The food is excellent and if you don't like something they will make you something else. Because the amount of passengers are very small the crew is very personable and remembers your name every day. The passengers are wonderful and you meet and talk to different people with each meal seating and tour. Uniworld also has created special excursions just for their passengers and it's with no other tour company. My husband and I never thought we would be interested in a Mozart concert but we had a special presentation just for our ship and it was wonderful, then when we got back to the ship there was a disc of the concert music on our pillow. We went in Dec because I wanted to see the Xmas markets. They were wonderful but all about the same. Although not disappointed, I would like to have seen more of the city we were I n and less of the markets which were the same in each country. I have some back issues but the tours were enjoyable for me and I managed well. They are a mixture of bus and walking. I would not recommend a riverboat cruise to anyone unless you plan on staying on the ship if you can't walk very much or are obese because it can be a challenge even with our ship having what they called slow walking (especially on cobblestone streets) or climb some stairs (only one flight on the ship and up to the buses, but some of the excursions are to churches with stairs). We went with my sister and her husband and all loved it. As a matter of fact we are planning another riverboat trip in 2018 this time maybe to Amsterdam on the same line but a different ship. Even my brother-in-law who is high maintenance and has to be busy all the time loved it. As we've gotten older (and I'm not afraid to reveal our ages late 50's and mid 60's) we can now appreciate the finer things in life that we have worked so hard for. And this line provided every bit of that. Oh and one more thing - I don't mean to sound like an old witch, but our kids are grown and we went on children oriented or family cruises when they were young and growing up, but this type of cruise had no children and that I was thankful for. This type of cruising is for adults and not for families with children, there are other appropriate venues for them.

First Time River Boat Cruisers

River Beatrice Cruise Review by lahprime

• Sail Date: December 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French Balcony

lahprime’s Full Rating Summary

Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin 1 319
We were in a standard cabin with a Juliette Balcony, only the glass sliding doors that could open, no room to go outside. It was very nice. Comfortable bed for two, extremely clean but very small to get around the bed to both sides. Closet space adequate and luggage could be put under the bed. Bathroom was slightly bigger than on regular cruise ships and way above that level with glass shower doors and tiled. Toiletries - shampoo, soaps, hair dryer - all available in the room. Outlets also provided and we had an adapter so we could charge our electronics. Be prepared that internet access on the ship is limited and slow, especially when everyone gets back from their excursions. Overall we were very pleased with the rooms.
Rhine Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Highlights Tour
    This was wonderful tour to some of the city and to a church on the hill. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable (as they were in every port) and this made it very interesting.
    View All 62 Highlights Tour Reviews
  • Old Town Tour
    This was a walking tour and very informative. Showed us a lot of the highlights, as well as information about "The Sound of Music" and walking in the gardens.
    View All 39 Old Town Tour Reviews
  • Walking Tour
    This was a walking tour and very informative as Passau is a smaller city. Loved the history and quaintness of this area.
    View All 148 Walking Tour Reviews
  • Vienna
    This was an evening tour after dinner. We were bused to a hall and had our own private concert with some opera and waltzing. Wonderful!!! Never thought I would like this type of music but my husband didn't even fall asleep, he was awe struck.
    View All 7,300 Vienna Cruise Port Reviews