3. Grandeur of the Seas
To be fair I have only cruised on Royal Caribbean and the majority of those sailings have been on Grandeur of the Seas. Last year I noticed some wear on the ship, it seemed as if general upkeep was not as ongoing as it had been in the past. Of course to be fair the vessel did just celebrate 20 years of sailing. With that being said I can not help but have noticed over the last few years the cutbacks on general maintenance that is normally seen around the ship. Overall the ship is clean and staff seem to take pride in keeping in clean as possible so good job with that. I was a bit challenged early on for this booking to change to a larger ship. I really believed that Royal Caribbean is focusing their efforts on the larger ships and not putting as much attention into the smaller ships. I like the smaller ship and departure port, but again to be honest I can not put down the larger ships since I have never sailed on one. I seriously considered changing my booking to a large ship prior to this cruise, but with a price drop I was encouraged to stick with the voyage. As I boarded it was clear that items have been cut from what cruising used to be, and in just a short time. The Windjammer had very little variety from day to day for breakfast and lunch. We did not do the buffet for dinner, but several friends did and said they would not recommend it over the main dining room. Items that used to appear on the buffet are no longer there. There was no turkey cold cuts that I used to get used to if there was not many options that appealed to me. It seemed at breakfast the only item to change was the potato's and that was merely how they were cooked and prepared. I was clear that the portion sizes in the dinning room have been cut back. While we never left hungry, it normally took two dinners to satisfy our fat tummies. This was also the first cruise that I felt the quality of the food had decreased. While most was edible and could be enjoyed, I certainly could tell a difference in the food from just over a year ago. While I am not much on the onboard entertainment, I was thoroughly disappointed with the daily activities that lacking, especially on sea days. In fact on one day I could not find one thing on the Cruise Compass that I was interested in doing. I am really not that picky, but the schedule was nothing but Spa and Fitness (I am not fitness buff at home and certainly don't want to spend my vacation doing it). If it was not about spending money to get healthy, it was all about buying art (biggest was of valuable space on the ship, in my opinion). Otherwise you had an occasional trivia here and there, most of the themes were geared to a much older crowd. The production shows were typical of Royal Caribbean, I actually attended a couple, since there was very little around the ship to do. The Cruise Director planning of activities seem to be on another cruising schedule. The exciting events seems to happen at the most awkward of times or when in port. I truly believe that you must look at this sailing for the many sea days that are included. I used to rely on Royal Caribbean to provide events and activities to attend and plan some of the time relaxing, now about 95% of the time is spent relaxing with little options of activities to do. I seldom, if ever do shore excursions off the ship. The ones I planned on my own or with a group saved me lots of money and were more enjoyable being tailored to the things we wanted to do. I understand Grandeur will be refurbished next year. I am sure the push is going to be to add venues that charge additional fees. I am looking forward to sailing next year after the refurb to see what changed and what sailings will be offered in 2018. The is the first time I have ever thought about traveling long distances to board a ship and honestly considering sailing on the larger ships just to see if there is more to do and see.

Royal Caribbean has cut back

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by smd604

smd604’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Cabin was in a decent location and provided enough space, wish there was a little more storage available and hopefully that will be considered in the refurbishment. Room steward did an outstanding job of keeping the room clean and restocking an items that needed to be.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans

• Baltimore
    Baltimore is an easy port to get in and out of. The port workers are always friendly and helpful.
    View All 350 Baltimore Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Baltimore Cruise Port Review
  • Barbados
    We were one of the first groups to Boatyard Barbados. You can't beat the price and activities they have available. The resturant and bar are extra, but based on the admission price, I was certainly willing to patronize them.
    View All 1,530 Barbados Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barbados Cruise Port Review
  • Dominica
    Booked a private tour of river tubing and beach stop and Mero Beach. The company we worked with were great. They even did the tour even though only 4 people signed up. They typically do not do it with less than 8 people. The river tubing was fun, although the water was a little low, at least it was not high (which would have canceled the tour). Overall it was a good day. The beach was okay, nothing to spectacular but it was a beach.
    View All 703 Dominica Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dominica Cruise Port Review
  • St. Lucia
    Did a pre-arranged island tour. The tour companies did not seem happy with our port time, since typically ships stay in port longer. For this reason we did have to be rushed at some of our stops to take everything in and get back to the ship on time. There was a lot of riding around the island, but when we stopped it was certainly worth the drive. We did several different things on our tour and tasted lots of flavors around the island. Despite having to rush, we never felt that we did not have time to enjoy each stopped and the tour guide to a great job of getting us back to the ship when he said he would.
    View All 1,394 St. Lucia Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Lucia Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    Took a taxi to Marigot for a little shopping, did not find as many stores there as I recall from the past. Then took a taxi to Maho beach to see the planes come in. After a short visit there took a taxi to Divi Little Bay Resort for the rest of the day. The seas were a little rough, but the beach was enjoyable.
    View All 4,755 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Maarten Cruise Port Review
  • St. Thomas
    Took a taxi to Emerald Beach. We ended up tendering into St. Thomas and was dropped off in the middle of town where there really did not seem to be anything. Luckily the cabs were there and a group of us went to Emerald Beach. The beach was okay and was just something to do to get off the ship. Since 6 ships were in port the island was crowded and our plans to venture to St. John by the ferry did not seem like a good idea based on the tendering process and number of ships in port.
    View All 4,677 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews