3. Amsterdam
We have done this cruise previously and found it to be all of the above things as stated. The only suggestion I would have, is it would be nice, and I would be agreeable to pay more if we could have more time at some of the ports. There is so much more to see that 8-12 hours can afford. A very special evening was when the Captain changed our course in order to cruise slowly by the flow of lava into the ocean as we left Hilo after dark. It was spectacular. One thing that bothered me personally on this cruise is that so many people were so negative. Most were people our age (old) and complained about almost everything. I can only conclude they were unhappy to start with. An example, at breakfast in the Lido I heard a lot of complaints that a certain food did not taste like what they had eaten at other places. I thought the food was all tasty and hot, even tho it was not like I have had other places. that, to me, is just part of the fun of traveling is to experience new and different things. We are great fans of the Pinnacle Speciality Dining. The food is superb and the service was flawless, and the remainder of the dining choices were great also. The entertainment was very good, and in a few instances spectacular. While we had done this cruise before we only participated in two land tours, which were also quite satisfactory, in spite of rain at times. There is no question we will cruise again, and again. Holland America is the perfect cruise line for those of us a bit older, and content with experiences geared a bit more in our direction. That is not to say younger people would not enjoy it, it is just a bit of an easier cruise with a lot to choose from on board.

Restful, energizing, and great escape from the cold.

Amsterdam Cruise Review by Lukeslady

• Sail Date: December 2016
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

Lukeslady’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Amsterdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin F 3344
Quite adequate. We did miss the balcony and fridge of our previous balcony cabins. However, did not feel it was worth the additional charge on this particular trip. The paint in a couple of places was peeling from age, but we have no complaints about the particular cabin.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins