3. Carnival Vista
I chose this ship because it is Carnivals newest in 4 years. I have not been on Carnival since our trip on the BREEZE when she was new, ( which we loved). We thought that this would be an enhancement of the Breeze, judging by the promos. We booked spa balcony cabins, as we did on Breeze, but we were very disappointed in the Spa on this ship. They advertised a Thallosotherapy pool...and what was there was just a large hot tub, not nearly large enough for this size ship and could only fit around 5 people in at a time. Also, even though we paid extra for Spa access, with our category booked, 8S, there always seemed to be day passes taking up all of the small space. The spa/thermal suites area was very small and was always crowded. We hardly had a chance to use it. Please limit the day passes.... The ship was nice, LARGE and decorated nicely for the holidays. Many Carnival fans will be disappointed that there is no central atrium or main lobby areas, but rather a small lobby bar area that was very crowed when Matt the cruise director (the best thing about the ship!) was there "performing" . Matt was the most entertaining cruise director I have seen in a long time. He is great at ad libbing and is quite hilarious....however, that is about all I can say for the cruise directors staff, because I really did not see or hear of any others...?! There were the typical activities throughout the day...lots of trivia, art auctions, kids things and of course the hairy chest contest....but Twice in one week? .. really? The announcements and information was also incorrect at times ,... and confusing. For example; the second "elegant night" was announced as white night AND elegant night Also NO shopping or PORT maps in Fun times the night before port and NONE on gangway...unless you left ship in the first hour! They do NOT leave any on the gangway. The tv had a lot of Carnival channels but we could not find any events re playing on the tv, like we usually see...... Love and marriage show, Hasbro game show, pool games, except debarkation talk. The elevators are small HOT and slow. Only one goes to deck 15, serenity deck....horrible. The pool has a great large screen tv and only showed the '\"aquarium loop" the entire trip in the day time. NOT one concert or documentary, as we usually like with these large screens. Dive in movies were ok. Weather was not too great for them....We did not use the IMAX/ Thrill theater, although it is a nice feature. The Limelight lounge is the focus of the comedians on board. One of my favorite things on a ship. The first guy was just one obscenity/insult after another; which is not my particular taste. New comedians come on board mid week and the female one was very funny. I did not get to see the rest of the shows for various reasons, mostly conflicting times with other activities. One thing that could be improved on,...maybe stagger the show times or space them apart more, instead of back to back. Then they would not have to clear the room after each show, and more people could enjoy the shows. The entertainers/Playlist Productions are ok. Good singing and lots of energy. Choreography... only average...It would be nice to have one large Production show per week, on board, in my opinion. We went two or 3 times, but then it was the same show each night, just with a different theme. The main theater (Liquid Lounge) is tiny for this large ship and doubles as the nightly "club" venue after 11. Makes no sense to me at all. I spent more time in the Casino! I will say this was one of the first cruises where I did VERY well almost every night in Casino. But a big complaint....only one crap table for a ship this size...and it was packed almost every night. The food was good and plentiful throughout, as typical on cruise ships. Our service was very good. The "your time dining" arrangement does not make sense. You are to check in at deck 5 and then proceed to deck 3 or 4 for your table. It is a lot of unnecessary walking. If you did decide to dress up and maybe where some heels, it would be so much more difficult...but on this ship, the dress code was very casual. We saw more T shirts, shorts and flip flops in main dining room than ever. There are 2 elegant nights and about 50% of passengers dressed up. My favorite eating spot was Blue Iquana cantina for lunch AND breakfast... and the Sea Days BBQ....Guys burgers are still good......Pizza was a joke. Always a line...too long to wait and not necessary. Just put an extra person there and serve the pizza. We waited as he took 8-9 pies out of the oven proceeded to slice them ALL before serving and then gave out whole pies to young kids, while many people in line then had to wait for new bakes 25 minutes for pizza slice......made NO sense at all. The ships staff in general was accommodating but really seemed quite indifferent, when I did have some questions at guest services... I asked about comment cards and was told they were now paperless. I had some concerns, and she did not seem to care. I was not WOWED by any means on this cruise. It was just ok. Would I go again, most likely NO. I am pretty much over Carnival at this point. Cutting way too many corners. It is still a good option for families with younger children. It seems as if they are going after quantity, rather than quality. No table cloths in the main dining room is a big disappointment also. That sets the tone for your dining experience, and as I mentioned before; it turned out to be a very casual tone. No visits from Maitre D' to the table all week, even thought they were visible with their IPADS trying to arrange seating. They do not enforce the dining dress code at all. That coupled with the bare tables,it was not the cruise dining experience that I am used to. I did not really utilize the buffet, except for breakfast. Long line for omelettes/eggs; As with the rest of the ship, it was just ok. There was soft serve available all week but their "homemade" ice cream machine was broken this week... The ports were nice. Always love St. Maarten for shopping and beach. San Juan was enjoyable. It was my firs time there. We walked around the "old San Juan" and explored the forts and castles... Really fun. There is a free trolley available, but we chose to walk off some calories. Not a hard or bad walk at all. There are many local artists selling their jewelry very reasonable prices. Grand Turk...(my first time there also) was a disappointment as well. 2 Carnival ships in port, Ours was late to debark and NO loungers available.. So many rude seat savers and people never showed up. Margaritaville was very popular and crowded and the pool is nice, but welcome to Spring Break all over again....I was looking forward to a nice quiet beach day........The ship docks right next to the beach., no tendering or transportation needed. I would guess I could have walked down the beach a ways, for a quiet spot, but I did not attempt it. Shopped a little and back to the ship. I rated the trip as 3 star average because I believe there is not bad cruise....just some are better than other. We sail about 3 times per year. This was definitely NOT one of my favorite cruises and In this case, there are many are better choices, in my opinion...... I sailed with my husband ( 59) and my son (23) who has not cruised since age 16 and always previously on Carnival, and his girlfriend (23). Her first cruise. Hope they work out the problems....in the meantime; happy sailing.

Nice Ship; Did not WOW me. Disappointed

funinthsun’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Vista price drops

Cloud 9 Spa Balcony
Cabin 8S 12205
The cabin was very nice. Carnival, in my opinion does have some of the largest cabins available. There was lots of room to walk around in. Balcony was a little smailler that what I remember. Elemis amenities in bathroom are a nice touch for Spa class, but should not have to ask to replenish them. Cabin steward very efficient. No chocolates at nightly turn down. : ( ...nice clean cabin...nice bed and bedding, good pillow!.
Spa & Sports Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins