3. Celebrity Millennium
After reading all the positive ratings on Celebrity Cruise Line, we finally committed ourselves to the Western Mediterranean Cruise on June 14, 2004. The Millennium did not live up to our expectation. I read Jeffrey's review, and I found our experience to be similar to his. I would like to add more comments to his. Food: We found it to be average only, which was a big disappointment, considering food was the reason why we picked Celebrity. We had tried the Ocean Cafe, the Metropolitan Restaurant, the Olympic, the Cova Cafe, the Ocean Grill and the Aqua Spa light meal corner. These are what we found: •Fish dinners were consistently overcooked and tasteless. •Hamburger bun crumbled up with each bite. I ended up with a mess on my hand, very embarrassing. Never tried it again. •Lack of variety; boiled potatoes cut with cookie cutter were served for the first 3 days for dinner, until our whole table complained. •The only lobster dinner served was VERY dry, again because it was WAY overcooked, and it did not come with dipping butter. •Not enough cooked vegetables to compliment every meal. •Coffee served was undrinkable, but cappuccino was not being served in the dining room as an alternative. •Salads served were bland and unimaginative. They were the type found in Cafeteria. There was also not much choice, just 3 types of salad dressing. •Most beef dinners served (filet mignon, prime rib, etc) were good but I had to know how to order. If I wanted a medium, I learned to order a medium rare. Then I got what I wanted. •Pastry chefs should be fired. I got better pastries from Cosco's freezer section. •The sushi cafe does not live up to the reputation. The sticky rice was dry and tasteless, so it was like eating play-dough. •The Olympic was the only place that lived up to our expectation. We were very pleased with the Sommelier. He listened carefully to our preference and picked the right wine for us. •French fries were very good. Cabin: We found it not very clean and certainly not well-maintained. The carpet looked dirty and worn-out. Fabric of the armchair and couch were worn threadbare, with one big piece of thread actually pulled out and dangled on the side. Shower curtain was not replaced or washed after the previous occupant(s). I could still see soap scum on it. (My tablemate told me hers was moldy) Shelves under the sink were dusty. I put a pair of socks I was going to wear under the sink so they would not get wet, just to discover later that they were covered by dust. (Very obvious on my black socks) The bed was comfortable. However, something needs to be done with the pillows. One was too low and two stacked on top of each other were too high. The TV had poor picture quality. My husband was watching the Euro Cup 2004 and he was not impressed with the picture quality. Public Area: Public area was well-maintained and clean. But improvement needed on signage. We love the Celebrity Theater; there were hardly any bad seats. But I objected to beverages being served during a show. If people came in late for the show, then they should be made to sit through the show without drink, or get up to fetch it themselves. I actually saw a guy went into the Ocean Cafe topless; his whole hairy chest glistened with sunscreen lotion. After 6-8 minutes in the line-up, he was asked to leave. We appreciated the vigilant monitoring of the dress-code. Unfortunately, the same could not be said about smoking. People smoked all over the place. We were told that smoking was allowed in port side only but this rule was never enforced. Entertainment: I would say that they were enjoyable, if not top-notch. A few performers out-shined the others: Pepe Ayala, the Spanish guitarist; the Serenada Quartet. Mr. Jones sounded like he was reading instead of singing and should be replaced. Elegant Tea: Celebrity totally screwed up in this "high-lighted" event, which took place in every formal day. They simply cannot call tea served in tea bags by waiters in poorly-fitted uniform as elegant. I counted at least 5 waiters in close vicinity wearing uniforms that were too short, too long, or too big. One waiter was flapping the napkin he carried in the air like he was swatting a fly! The Gym, the Aqua Spa and pool area: These areas were outstanding. We both signed up for the Persian Garden and totally enjoyed the experience. One stall needs to be re-tiled though, numerous tiles have fallen off and are simply lying around on the floor. In the Ladies' change room (deck 10), the sealing strip around one of the shower doors was simply hanging loose around the door, during the whole cruise. Service: Generally, those who had to work for their tips were OK. The first 2 nights, I received no daily news. When I finally asked my stateroom attendant, I was told that they were left inside the Service Directory binder. Whoever looked inside that binder? (The binder disappeared completely later, after I requested to have the daily news left on our bed) I had never met one single officer behind the Guest Relation desk who was friendly and helpful. They all looked exhausted, grumpy, and had an attitude, like you were stupid to even ask them anything. One officer greeted us with a lift of his chin, and looked down his nose, with no smile, no greeting. Another officer shouted out her answer, as if I was deaf. (I never asked her to repeat anything so her shouting was not justified) During the Emergency & Lifeboat Drill, I was late getting back to my stateroom. No one would tell me what to do next. Officers were guarding the elevators, told me (with a stern face) that I had to use the stairs. When I finally got back to my stateroom, there was no one in sight. I was offered no assistance and received absolutely no instruction from any officer. SUMMARY We were not the only people who were disappointed. One couple (who did a private tour with us) had cruised with Celebrity 4 times before. They said that this time was very different. The food was not as good and they felt that they were being nickel-and-dimed on everything. My tablemates who had cruised 8 times before (4 with Carnival) but had never cruised with Celebrity said that they are going back to Carnival. One review I read in Cruise Critic mentioned how bad the fish dinners were; I have the same opinion. Celebrity put forward this promise, that it is a cruise line that treated their customers famously. They did not deliver based on my experience. I did not feel that I was treated like a guest but just like another customer. When I cruised with Dawn Princess, I did not like her officers either. But the waiters and the stateroom attendant were all top-notch professionals. There was not a single meal served in the main dining room that we did not enjoy. Our room was always clean. The ship was immaculate and well maintained, from top to bottom. The same cannot be said about the Celebrity's Millennium.

Millennium - Western Mediterranean