3. Magellan
My Daughter, her husband, my Wife and I spent three nights on the Magellen for a short Christmas Cruise to Amsterdam and Antwerp, we had a nice time but it could have been so much better. Transfer from the long stay car park was very quick, as was check in, the baggage arrived at the cabin within 15 minutes. A very good start. The ship has a good balance of communal areas, bars and shops, all very clean and spotless. Sinatra’s became our choice as the new English Tavern (replacing the nightclub) played very loud rock music most of the time, not our choice when we wanted to talk to each other. Service was good and fairly prompt, one thing we noticed was the charge for a mixer drink was the price of a can/bottle rather than a splash, if you have a vodka and coke ask for the can and add your own splash. other drinks were reasonably priced. We had a Superior cabin on deck six, it was very spacious and clean. The cabin attendant was not very attentive but he was very friendly, I am sure if we needed anything he would have helped. The downside for us was the quality of the dinning. We were placed in the Waldorf restaurant, which on appearance looked very nice, but unfortunately the quality of the food and the service is on a par with one/two star dinning. The evening “fine dining” experience (6 courses) is delivered at speed, just over an hour, and thrown at you from all angles. I don’t think they know of service from the left, dishes were delivered across table, stretched across other dinners and delivered to hand in some instance. The quality matched the service, pasta was gloopy and could be cut into slices, sauces had films of oil on them and meat very dry. Breakfast had the usual extensive choice but looked like it had been thrown onto the serving dishes. The Waldorf had the slowest omelette cook I have encountered, using one small frying pan rather than a grill. Breakfast on disembarkation morning was chaos in every restaurant, the ship cannot cope with everyone arriving for food at once. Not enough seating, cutlery or cups, I didn’t get a chance to experience if there was enough food. Everybody had to vacate their cabins by 7am, if they staggered checkout this might avoid this problem. Leaving the ship was straightforward and hassle free, it didn’t look like anybody paid attention to the disembarkation time slot but queues did keep moving and transfer busses were frequent. My first impressions of the Magellan were very good, unfortunately the quality of the dinning service and food would drive me mad on a sailing any longer than three days. In fact, if I had paid full cabin price I would be complaining formally rather than adding a review. This is such a shame for what is a nice cruising environment and a very pleasant ship.

Christmas Cruise